Fishery Resources Specialist
Home Based - May require travel
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Remote | Home Based - May require travel
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Sustainable use of oceans, seas and marine resources
- Closing Date: 2023-04-30
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean (GFCM) is a regional fisheries management organization (RFMO) established under the provisions of Article XIV of the FAO Constitution. The main objective of the GFCM is to promote the development, conservation, rational management and best utilization of living marine resources as well as the sustainable development of aquaculture in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea.
To this end, the GFCM formulates and recommends appropriate measures for the conservation and rational management of living marine resources and ensures these recommendations are implemented; constantly reviews the economic and social aspects of the fishing industry, recommending specific measures in connection with its development; promotes and carries out training, research and development activities, in addition to cooperation and technical assistance in fisheries-related fields; collects, publishes and disseminates information on exploitable living marine resources and on fisheries exploiting these resources; promotes programmes for marine and coastal fisheries enhancement.
To further support these endeavours, the GFCM adopted the GFCM 2030 Strategy towards the sustainability of Mediterranean and Black Sea fisheries as a regional reply to the objectives enshrined in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 14 and the FAO Strategic Objective 2, in order to ensure that the alarming trend in the status of commercially exploited fish stocks is reversed by means of the five targets relating to i) Fisheries and ecosystems: healthy seas and productive fisheries; ii) Compliance and enforcement: a level playing field to eradicate illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing iii) Aquaculture: a sustainable and resilient sector growing to its full potential; iv) Livelihoods: decent employment and engaged fishers towards profitable fisheries; and v) Capacity development: technical cooperation, knowledge sharing and efficient partnerships in a subregional perspective.
Purpose of the call for expression of interest
The purpose of this call is to attract global talent for the Consultant and Personal Services assignments that may provide support and/or lead fisheries projects and technical support processes in the GFCM region. The assignment may be home-based or located at the GFCM headquarters at Palazzo Blumenstihl (Via Vittoria Colonna 1, 00193 – Rome, Italy), with potential travel for field missions. The Global call will create a roster of Applicants that will be used to identify candidates for relevant assignments.
The assignment can be from 1 month up to 11 months. The possibility of extension is subject to satisfactory performance and depending on the resources and needs of the Organization.
The Fishery Resources Specialist reports to the GFCM Fishery Officers and to the GFCM Executive Secretary. She/he closely collaborates with relevant staff at the GFCM Secretariat and in the Fisheries and Aquaculture Division.
Areas of work cover sustainable development and management of fisheries in the Mediterranean and Black Sea region, including policy support, implementation of relevant plans of action and binding decisions in place, small-scale fisheries guidelines implementation, Blue Transformation, fisheries-related SDG monitoring and statistics, data analysis and assessment of the status of marine living resources, management strategy evaluation, ecosystem approach to fisheries management planning and implementation, interactions between fisheries and the marine environment and ecosystems, discards monitoring programmes and awareness, scientific surveys, fishing gear and fishing techniques, mitigation of bycatch, benthic communities, European eel, sturgeons, piked dogfish, deep water corals, climate change mitigation and adaptation, non-indigenous species (including blue crabs), MCS, fishing vessels, socio-economic impacts, value chains, social protection, recreational fisheries, stakeholder engagement, gender and work plan of scientific advisory bodies.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Provide technical inputs towards the implementation of the GFCM 2030 Strategy towards the sustainability of Mediterranean and Black Sea fisheries and achievement of its targets and the provision of advice on fisheries;
• Provide technical expertise or advice to monitor, analyze and/or address ecological, biological, economic, market, governance or social issues towards the management and sustainable development of fisheries in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea;
• Coordinate projects and initiatives supporting fisheries management, including on the above mentioned specific issues as well as in the context of capacity development work under the MedSea4Fish and BlackSea4Fish projects;
• Provide substantial support for the planning and organization of relevant events and activities in relation to the GFCM work programme, including at subregional level;
• Provide support to existing and new research programmes, pilot studies and strategic initiatives in support to the development or implementation of data collection systems, standard methodologies, technical standards/guidelines, international instruments, technical innovation, technical reports, publications;
• As required, support the implementation of the work plans of the scientific advisory bodies as well as contribute to the process of formulation of scientific advice;
• Edit and revise technical and scientific documents and publications where appropriate;
• Perform any other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University (mandatory for Consultants) or specialized degree (only for PSA) in natural, social and economic sciences including any of the following fields: fisheries or natural resources management, fisheries or natural resources economics, fisheries technology, social development, marine/freshwater affairs, or in other field related to the work of the Organization.
• At least one year of relevant experience in fisheries research, natural resource management, project development and implementation, data analysis or related fields;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for PSA, only working knowledge of English is required)
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, possibly with focus on the Mediterranean and/or Black Sea region
• Extent of experience in the relevant fields
• Drafting and communication skills
• Level of experience in fisheries research, natural resource management, project development and implementation, data analysis or related fields
• Level of knowledge of the functioning of Regional Fisheries Management Organizations (RFMOs)
• Experience in working with international and intergovernmental organizations, preferably in connection with the Mediterranean and Black Sea region
• Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines
• Thoroughness, reliability and autonomy
• Level of communications skills (both oral and written) and drafting skills in relevant languages
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency