- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Silver Spring
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Closing Date:
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading non-sectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection, and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The Silver Spring office of the International Rescue Committee was established in 2006. The office has served refugees from over 25 countries offering a wide array of programs including resettlement, employment and career development, immigration, interpreter services and community health. IRC Silver Spring resettles and/or provides assistance to approximately 1000 refugees, asylees and victims of human trafficking each year.
The Intake Specialist provides day to day support with assistance to community members accessing services at the IRC Silver Spring both through referrals and walk-ins, with a specific support to Ukrainian humanitarian parolees and other Ukrainians impacted by recent displacement. This position involves working directly with clients in a fast-paced environment while maintaining professional standards and adhering to best practices regarding timely enrollment and referral to appropriate services. This position reports to the Intake and Outreach Coordinator.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct eligibility screenings for walk-in clients including, Ukrainian and other parolees, SIVs and secondary migrant refugees.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and eligibility criteria on all programs offered by the IRC, including but not limited to Maryland state funded programs, federally funded programs such as the Matching Grant program and Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF).
- Refer ineligible clients to community resources such as local Departments of Social Services, shelters, food banks, crisis centers, and others as applicable.
- Support Intake and Outreach coordinator to maintain detailed, accurate and comprehensive databases of all walk-in clients.
- Participate in meetings, trainings, and workshops as requested and coordinated by the IRC and partner agencies.
- Create physical files and labels for new clients.
- Comply with agency policies, protocols and best practices.
- Other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a field in social sciences or social work preferred.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of full-time relevant work experience at a non-profit agency or other public service environment. Experience in case management will be an advantage.
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written; bilingual ability in one of the predominant languages of the local client base is desired: Ukrainian.
- Knowledge of and interest to continue learning about public assistance and other community resources.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment and with individuals who are Limited English Proficient (LEP). Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Self-starter with excellent problem solving skills combined with the proven ability to multi-task, prioritize duties and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment. Exceptional attention to detail required.
- Interest and ability to contribute both independently and as a key team member.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook) and web-based applications (i.e. Google forms, Box, ETO, databases).
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.