Senior Programme Analyst - P5
- Organization: ILO - International Labour Organization
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Senior level - P-5, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: Closed
Vacancy no.: RAPS/1/2023/PROGRAM/01
Publication date: 24 February 2023
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 27 March 2023
Job ID: 10499
Organization Unit: PROGRAM
Contract type: Fixed Term
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
Staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are encouraged to apply.
Applications from candidates who have already separated from ILO service upon retirement or early retirement, will not be considered.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ILO welcomes applicants with experience in working within ILO constituents (governments, employers’ and business membership organizations, and workers’ organizations).
Applicants from non- or under-represented member States, or from those member States which staffing forecasts indicate will become non- or under-represented in the near future would be particularly welcome. A list of these countries can be found here: ILO Jobs: Non- and under-represented Member States
In addition to the interviews and tests that any candidate may be required to take, successful completion of the ILO Assessment Centre is required for all external candidates and any internal candidate applying to a higher category.
Notwithstanding the general considerations set out in the ILO Staff Regulations, this vacancy announcement is the only authoritative document pertaining to the qualifications required for this position. The minimum required qualifications were determined in view of the specific duties and responsibilities of this position.
The specific language requirements for this position are detailed hereunder. However, candidates applying for the professional category vacancies who have not already successfully completed their probationary period within the ILO and whose mother tongue is not one of the working languages of the Office (English, French and Spanish), shall be required to possess a fully satisfactory working knowledge of at least one of the ILO working languages. If appointed they may be required to acquire a knowledge of a second working language of the Office during their initial years of service.
Please note that in the context of the new ILO organigram, the naming of the departments may be subject to change.
The position is located in the Strategic Programming and Management Department (PROGRAM). PROGRAM advises the Director-General and provides guidance, advice and assistance to ILO management and staff on programme planning, implementation, reporting and resource allocation. It has responsibility for preparing the ILO's Programme and Budget and related documents. Its work is based on results-based management and budgeting to ensure organisational effectiveness and efficiency.
The position reports to the Director of the Department.
1. Develop the strategic vision and provide innovative approaches for the department in strategic budgeting based on results-based management and integrated resource planning. Develop relevant policies, standards, tools and processes and direct their implementation.
2. Lead and coordinate the department’s work on the strategic use of all ILO resources in the context of the Programme and Budget preparation, monitoring and reporting, in close coordination with the Financial Management Department (FINANCE).
3. Design, coordinate and oversee the implementation of integrated resource allocation mechanisms, tools and procedures in support of coherent programming of all ILO resources. Develop proposals for strengthened accountability framework in the context of the delegation of decision-making on resource allocations, in collaboration with FINANCE.
4. Direct the preparation and maintenance of policies and procedures governing the use of different sources of funding. Produce programme directives and guidelines for programme managers and provide interpretation of such material. Provide authoritative advice on strategic budgeting and effective use of available resources.
5. Define business requirements and supervise implementation of enhancements to the ILO’s Enterprise Resources Planning and related systems in support of strategic planning, programming and budgeting processes, in collaboration with FINANCE.
6. Provide expert advice and guidance on managing change in the work environment resulting from the introduction of new technologies and/or implementation of Office-wide automated systems for programming and budgeting.
7. Act as a technical expert and provide authoritative advice throughout the organization, including to senior managers, on strategic budgeting practices, and represent the Office at meetings in the above areas.
8. Coordinate the preparation and analysis of programming and budgetary reports. Undertake and manage in-depth studies to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of structures, procedures, responsibilities, and resource levels of major components of the ILO's programme. Identify options for improvement and change and provide management advisory services to improve units and programmes efficiency and effectiveness.
9. Supervise staff in their contributions to relevant outputs. Coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, seminars and training events on strategic budgeting matters. Provide relevant training.
10. Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1.Undertake or manage in-depth studies and evaluations of major components of the ILO’s programme – taking into account sensitive political, personnel and resource issues – in order to identify options and to advise senior management on changes in
structures, procedures, responsibilities and resource levels.
2.Develop new policies, procedures and practical guidance on major areas of programming work, such as Programme Support Income and Programme Allocation
Changes. Develop methods for allocating special resources, identify problems or exceptions, monitor resource use and, where necessary, recommend adjustments or
3. Resolve resource problems brought by managers. Analyse staffing situations in technical programmes and advise managers. Recommend supplementary allocations
and programme adjustments, taking into account political implications.
4. Represent the organization at inter-agency, governing body and other high level meetings. Present reports, documents and recommendations dealing with programme and budget matters.
Advanced university degree in economics, business or public administration, social science or other relevant field.
A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in one of the afore-mentioned fields or other relevant field with an additional two years of relevant experience, in addition to the experience stated below, will be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
At least ten years of experience, including at the international level , in programme planning, management, implementation and evaluation. A minimum of five years of experience in designing and implementing programme and budget processes and mechanisms.
Excellent command of one working language (English, French, Spanish) of the Organization and a working knowledge of a second working language of the Organization. One of these must be English.
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
Technical Competencies: Excellent knowledge of the organization’s policies, procedures, practices and programmes. Strong analytical and diagnostic skills. Excellent knowledge of implementation of public sector programming and budgeting processes and mechanisms. Excellent knowledge and demonstrated understanding of ERP systems; ability to conceptualize business requirements and translate them to enhancements of such systems. Ability to communicate decisions and instructions effectively both in writing and verbally at all levels of the organization. Ability to present papers and positions at inter-agency meetings. Ability to draft policies and procedures, Governing Body documents and other communications. Excellent managerial skills. Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, and proven ability to motivate and train staff. Excellent problem-solving skills.
Behavioural Competencies: Strong diplomatic skills, political judgment and negotiation skills to handle difficult situations. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- The first contract will be issued for a twenty-four month period.
- A successful external candidate will be on probation for the first two years of assignment.
- Any extension of contract beyond the probation period is subject to satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit the ILO Jobs International Recruitment page.
Any officials of the General Service category interested in applying to this position are hereby informed that, if selected, they will be offered the salary and allowances applicable to the grade of the position applied for, which may result in substantial changes in their take-home remuneration. In accordance with Article 3.4 of the Staff Regulations, the salary of an official, upon promotion, shall in no case be greater than the maximum salary of the grade to which he or she was promoted. For any questions or clarifications, please contact your HR partner at email@example.com
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place during the 3 to 4 months following the application deadline. Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
The ILO has zero tolerance for acts of sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) and is determined to ensure that all staff members and all beneficiaries of ILO assistance do not suffer, directly or indirectly, from sexual exploitation and abuse.
To ensure that individuals with a substantiated history of SEA, sexual harassment or other types of abusive conduct are not hired by the Organisation, the ILO may conduct a background verification of candidates under consideration.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: