National Consultant – Finalization of Iraq State of Environment Report
- Organization: UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: Consultancy - National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement
- Communication and Public Information
- Documentation and Information Management
- Closing Date: Closed
Result of Service
Finalize State of Environment Report of IraqWork Location
Baghdad - Iraq
3 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
1. Organizational Setting, Purpose and Objective:
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The Regional Office for West Asia delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives.
In order to enhance Iraq’s capacities and readiness to meet its commitments under a set of Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs), UNEP supported the Government of Iraq in the development of a National Environmental Information System. This system will act as the main source of information relating to the current and evolving status of the environment of Iraq. The system is designed based on six categories of environmental indicators containing 22 indicators that are presented to the user through “dashboard” approach as well as GIS maps and satellite imagery to achieve the desired environmental monitoring.
The objective of this national consultancy is to finalize the indicator-based State of the Environment Report for Iraq. This consultant will work closely with the Ministry of Environment, Central Statistics Organization in Iraq and UNEP ROWA in order to validate and finalize the SOER using the DPSIR approach.
2. Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Coordinator for Science-Policy at UNEP, the National Consultant will carry-out, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
1. State of Environment Report
- Review and update the data of the key 22 environmental indicators presented in the drafted SoE report
- Retrofit the draft SoE report Design to the DPSIR framework and create a mapping for the indicators within the framework
- Prepare outline for the final SoE report to be reviewed and confirmed by the Project Manager
- Develop gap report to detail and outline all the gaps in the data needed as well as recommendations to address those gaps
- Ensure that all the reports and documents are completed in high quality and that both Arabic and English languages are used.
• D1: Complete indicator-based State of Environment Report for Iraq using DPSIR framework
Master’s degree in environmental sciences, public policy, environmental policy, or any other relevant field is required.
Minimum 7 years’ experience in report writing, environmental data analysis, and reporting in an international context is required.
Experience dialoguing with a diverse range of users and translating their knowledge and data collected through them into a detailed informative report outlining the state of environment is required.
Understanding and knowledge of State of Environment Report and its preparation and understanding of the DPSIR framework is required.
Familiarity with the Iraqi and regional environmental context is required.
Ability to conduct research and work independently is required.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: