Executive/Programme Associate to the Regional Director
New York City
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: New York City
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
The Regional Bureau for Africa (RBA) is UNDP’s largest Regional Bureau covering 46 countries, with almost one-third of them in crisis or post-crisis situations. To help the Africa region overcome its development challenges, UNDP’s goal in Africa is to develop the region’s capacity to implement the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Achieving this strategic goal will require: a refocusing of UNDP’s resources in the region on capacity development; strengthening its own internal capacity in required substantive and managerial areas by enhancing its standards of efficiency and accountability; innovative region-wide strategic thinking and policy analysis, advocacy and partnerships; translation of corporate and RBA strategies and goals into successful capacity development results on the ground; and more strategic support to UN reform.
The RBA HQ office structure comprises the following units: Directorate; Partnership and Communications (PAC) Team; Strategic Analysis and Research Team (SART); Country Oversight Support Team (COST); TICAD Team, Programme Risk Management and Management Support Team (MST). The Executive/Programme Associate works closely with all the above teams as well as units in other Bureaus and countries in the African region in resolving complex programme and operational related issues and information delivery.
The Programme/Executive Associate leads the support of the respective team in the execution of services, particularly, research, programme and providing administrative support to the Directorate, the Regional Advisors and Specialists and to the Policy Advisors.
The Programme/Executive Associate coordinates information-gathering, consolidation and delivery of substantive programme and administrative services for the RBA teams in programme design, planning, managing data and facilitating overall service delivery and smooth operations across the Bureau. The Programme/Executive Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The key results of this job have a critical impact on the smooth functioning and overall effectiveness and efficiency of the Directorate of RBA; the degree of its organization and efficiency determines to a large extent the quality of the overall management of the Bureau in general. As the staff member providing immediate support to the Regional Director, the role of the Executive and Programme Associate is critical, and the incumbent is responsible and accountable for the smooth functioning and confidentiality maintained in the Regional Director’s office.
Ensures administration and implementation of programme strategies, adapts processes and procedures in support of Directorate, Advisors and Specialists. Linking up with other RBA and UNDP Units as well as with other external clients, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Engages in complex policy analysis at the request of Advisors and Specialists on focal issues related to programme and operational functions of RBA and country offices and elicits relevant knowledge from the global development context;
- Collaborates with staff of country offices and other HQ units in maintaining a system to ensure timely submission of documents destined for the Executive Board, and provides feedback to the team members;
- Prepares correspondence for the Directorate, Advisors and Specialists as well as manages and maintains appointments, missions and Leave schedules for the Directorate;
- Supports the development of a donor/partner intelligence system for Africa in close coordination with relevant UNDP units and colleagues as well as Regional Service Centers and Country Offices. Updates the system periodically within the thematic area;
- Continuously monitors developments within country offices to update the Unit and the Bureau on the latest issues of importance;
- Manage the implementation of a qualitative monitoring system to track all RBA activities in the field with relevant partners and issue quality management reports to guide country advisors and specialists in their work;
- Prepares and regularly updates RBA Strategic Partnership briefing kits for internal and external use;
- Monitors and reports to the Advisors and Specialists on Country Office programme implementation and support to project management activities;
- Supports the Advisors and Specialists in various programme initiatives (e.g.) strategic plan reporting and target-setting, monitoring of balanced scorecards, results of the Global Staff Survey and Partner Survey etc.
Provides effective support to RBA Advisors and Specialists, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for formulation of country programme, preparation of programme documents’ drafts, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements;
- Consolidates reports from ATLAS and take relevant actions in the appropriate Atlas module, related to budget, travel and procurement management;
- Provision of guidance to country office focal points on routine implementation of programmes, tracking results and updated reporting mechanisms;
- Follow-up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, and preparation and submission of quality reports;
- Analysis of programme status, identification of programme and operational problems and development of solutions, where necessary;
- Consolidates country office and sub-regional programme audit information and reports and monitor the implementation of follow-up actions.
Provides administrative support to the Directorate, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Creates requisitions and conducts budget checks for requisitions, POs, and vouchers in ATLAS and ensure proper supporting documentation for processing and audit;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures and control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Timely corrective actions on pending requisitions, payments, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Maintains and updates filing, both hard copies and electronic files for the Directorate. Circulates documents for information/action in the Unit and across thematic areas and other Bureaus. Organizes reference materials and archives closed project files;
- Manages calendar/schedule of the Director;
- Manages the Note-to-File and e-Registry log and periodically update the Directorate SharePoint;
- Ensures accurate up-to-date record keeping in the Directorate;
- Manages the Directorate travel and logistics arrangements for missions;
- Manages the Directorate leave records and perform monthly updates in ATLAS;
- Processes F-10 reimbursements in ATLAS and ensure proper supporting documentation for audit.
Provides support in creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of quality communication support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Consolidates country office and sub-regional programme audit information and reports and monitor follow-up actions;
- Maintains a database of partners collaborating with RBA through the Directorate and relevant Bureau Units;
- Organizes Project/Programme Appraisal Committee (PAC) meetings (ensures circulation of document, preparation of minutes/circulation to PAC participants). Drafts minutes to PAC meetings for approval by the chairperson of the PAC;
- Undertakes follow-up actions to PAC and liaises with the Executive Board Secretariat on timely submission of the draft Country Programme Documents.
- Makes recommendations on project documents format, budget structure and availability of funds, including during Bureau reviews of CPPD and CPAPs;
- Facilitates identification and selection of consultants for projects by liaising with institutions, consulting agencies etc. Liaise with OHR to help facilitate the recruitment of consultants. Prepare and process all travel and logistical arrangements of hired consultants.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Regional Bureau, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support Content Management of country offices by ensuring that prescriptive content within functional areas is continuously updated and available, best practices are continuously identified, documented and made available to clients and peers and appropriate up-to-date information and learning tools are made available;
- Provides institutional memory on Team Operations and brief incoming staff as needed;
- Participate in the organization of trainings for the Bureau and Country Office staffs on programme and operations in line with corporate requirements;
- Participates in backstopping arrangements within the Bureau to ensure coverage of administrative, programme and operational support for the Units;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility
Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination
Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner
Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Advocacy Strategy & Implementation
- Ability to implement advocacy strategies which lead to impactful change
- Partnership Management
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
- Knowledge Facilitation
- Ability to work with individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share knowledge
- Ability to work with individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance or
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political or Social Sciences will be given due consideration.
- Minimum 7 years (with Secondary education) or 4 years (with University Degree) of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and French, both oral and written, is required.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: