Myanmar : MEAL Officer – Bangkok (until receiving the visa, then Yangon)
- Organization: ACTED - Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development
- Location: Bangkok
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Education, Learning and Training
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Innovations for Sustainable Development
- Closing Date: Closed
FIXED TERM | 6 MONTHS | ASAP
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED has been present in Myanmar since 2008, with bases in Loikaw (Kayah State), Sittwe (Rakhine State), and Yangon. Through both emergency and longer-term resilience building programming in Myanmar, ACTED seeks to work towards its global strategy of achieving a Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, Zero Poverty world.
Since 2012, ACTED’s work in Myanmar has focussed on supporting sustainable livelihoods and economic development, in both urban and rural areas of Kayah and Rakhine States, through skills training; climate-smart agriculture; business development support; and linkages with private sector actors. In Rakhine State, this support for economic self-reliance has often been implemented alongside the provision of humanitarian assistance to conflict-affected communities, and social cohesion initiatives. Today, in light of the rapidly deteriorating humanitarian and security conditions in Myanmar since the events of February 2021, ACTED is significantly scaling up its emergency response programming. This entails providing life-saving food security, nutrition, and protection assistance to crisis-affected communities, particularly in Kayah State. In 2022 for the first time, ACTED is also delivering emergency humanitarian assistance in Yangon. However, in line with ACTED’s belief that – even in a crisis setting – every individual should be supported to achieve their creative and economic potential, all the emergency assistance we deliver in Myanmar is implemented with a view towards restoring self-reliance to affected communities, and supporting them towards long-term recovery, right from the start of a crisis.
You will be in charge of
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Officer is responsible for the development and the implementation of appropriate and viable monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems that are in line with the ACTED’s global MEAL procedures, and contributing to ensuring that ACTED’s projects and programs perform as planned.
Implementation and Management of MEAL Systems
- Contribute to the development and updating of the MEAL country strategy, consolidation of the MEAL work plan and MEAL framework for all ongoing projects;
- Ensure that MEAL observations/conclusions are taken into account and recommendations are incorporated into future concept notes, project proposals, and implementation plans;
- Implement MEAL policies and procedures as outlined in ACTED’s standard MEAL technical guides and ensure that tools are used as recommended;
- Contribute to the effective deployment of MEAL collection and reporting systems for all staff and partners through trainings, site visits, manuals, and as many technical supports as needed.
Technical Systems Development
- Develop terms of reference and mission plans and conduct surveys, monitoring and evaluations;
- Develop analytical tools, methodology and data/information dissemination/use plans;
- Closely supervise data collection and ensure that data collection teams are organized and documented as necessary;
- Ensure that data collected is securely stored in databases;
- Measure and report qualitative and quantitative data on processes, outcomes, deliverables, impact, target and performance indicators for all projects;
- Provide data to Project Development teams for use in reporting;
- Contribute to donor project proposals and funding efforts.
- Contribute to the proactive dissemination and use of knowledge gained through MEAL activities to Project Managers, Technical Coordinators, and Project Development Managers and Officers;
- Contribute to organizing and facilitating training sessions to capture best practices and lessons learned.
Contribute to the Beneficiary Complaint Response Mechanism (CRM)
- Contribute to the implementation of the Beneficiary Complaint Response Mechanism (CRM) in line with ACTED’s standard CRM procedures;
- Oversee proper management of the central CRM database;
- Work on the understanding and ability of ACTED teams, partners and contractors to rely on beneficiary accountability and CRM procedures.
- Participate in conferences and workshops related to MEAL when possible and keep up to date on best practices and new knowledge in the MEAL sector;
- Perform any other related activity as assigned by the direct manager.
Expected skills and qualifications
- University Degree in Political Sciences, Public Administration, International Affairs, Economics or a related field (anthropology, sociology, statistics);
- At least 1-2 years of professional experience in humanitarian and/or development organisations;
- Experience with participatory appraisals and project cycle management encouraged;
- Good organizational and communication skills with international and national staff and rural communities;
- Flexibility and adaptability are essential, as well as the ability to plan, take initiative and work independently and under pressure;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills in English;
- Knowledge of the region an asset;
- Familiarity with basic office software programs.
- Salary between 1600 and 1800€ monthly (before income tax), depending on the level of education, security level, etc as well as a monthly living allowance of $300
- Accommodation and food provided in ACTED guesthouse
- Pension, health insurance, life insurance and repatriation assistance (& unemployment insurance for EU citizens)
- Flight tickets every 6 months & visa fees covered
- Contribution to the luggage transportation: up to 100 kgs, depending on the length of the contract
- Annual leave of 25 to 43 days per year
- One week pre-departure training in ACTED HQ, including a 3-days in situ security training
- Tax advice (free 30-minute call with a tax consultant)
- Psychological assistance
Please send your application (CV and letter of motivation) by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) , including the reference: MEALO/MYA
Please note that ACTED will never charge a fee for the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: