- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Sumy
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Human Settlements (Shelter, Housing, Land, Property)
- Closing Date: 2023-06-30
Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs working in 40 countries worldwide, is currently looking for a highly qualified Shelter Assistant for Sumy Office.
DRC has been operating in Ukraine for more than 10 years with emergency and durable solution interventions for assisting IDPs, returnees, Host communities, and conflict-affected populations. With the outbreak of the conflict in February 2022, DRC has shifted its programming to emergency response to meet the urgent needs of conflict-affected population in the country. Current DRC programming is focusing on protection activities such as protection monitoring, information dissemination, Individual protection assistance, and legal aid. DRC is starting a Shelter program in Sumy to assist in the reconstruction, light and medium repairs of houses and apartment blocks, improvement of communal shelter and assistance to displaced households.
In addition to protection programming, DRC is currently implementing Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), NFI and Food distributions, Shelter & WASH interventions, and Economic Recovery, Humanitarian Demining and Explosive Ordnance Risk Education. The organization counts with 8 offices in the country.
Overall purpose of the role
- Provide administrative and technical support to the shelter activities
- Assist the Shelter Officer and Shelter Manager in ensuring the quality of the planning, implementation and follow-up of the shelter activities
Shelter Sector responsibilities:
- Follow all Shelter activities including the day-to-day supervision of partners, contractors and quality control
- Participate in assessments, developing procurement documents and scope of work related to shelter activities
Geographic scope: Base (Sumy)
This role has Base level focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the area.
- Reporting to Shelter Manager
- Follow all relevant project tools, plans, and budgets
- Project implementation, reporting and evaluation
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Provide technical support and inputs on all shelter activities
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings if needed
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
Required experience and competencies
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience, preferably with experience in the field of humanitarian response.
- Practical experience in sector area working for an INGO is preferred
- Experience in administrative and support tasks
- Proficiency in English is desirable
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Skills in GIS software and AutoCAD are an asset
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Civil Engineering or another relevant field
- Contract length: 6 months renewable depending on performance and funding.
- Designation of Duty Stations: Sumy
- Start date: As soon as possible.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 20 of March