Legal Adviser in CERN's Knowledge Transfer Group (IPT-KT-2023-25-LD)
- Organization: CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Legal - Broad
- Human Resources
- Closing Date:
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Do you have proven skills and experience in practicing intellectual property law? Are you keen to work in the Knowledge Transfer Group of one of the world's leading scientific Intergovernmental Organizations, drafting and negotiating high-tech licensing and R&D contracts? Come and join a unique environment whose core value is excellence, and whose defining characteristic is teamwork. CERN, take part!
You will join the Knowledge Transfer (KT) Group, which is in charge of identifying and realizing opportunities for CERN's know-how to be applied in fields other than particle physics, in order to maximize the impact of CERN technologies and expertise on society (in particular through industry). Your role will be to ensure that CERN’s Knowledge Transfer activities have a solid legal framework.
Within the Knowledge Transfer Group and as a legal adviser, you will:
- Draft and review agreements related to knowledge transfer activities, such as licence agreements and other forms of exploitation agreements as well as R&D agreements with other scientific institutes and industry;
- Provide legal support related to intellectual property, within the group and for other CERN units;
- Assist CERN personnel and other CERN departments in intellectual property matters.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of intellectual property law or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in legal and contract drafting work acquired in industry or scientific institutes with international exposure.
- Relevant professional experience in technology transfer & more specifically in the IP domain, through the drafting of licensing and R&D agreements.
- Experience in legal aspects of procurements would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of contract law;
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property law;
- Knowledge of Commercial Law (including commercial litigation);
- Knowledge of EU regulations.
- Managing self: handling uncertainty and ambiguity calmly and effectively.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Communicating effectively: utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Excellent spoken and written English, including demonstrated drafting skills.
- Working knowledge of French would be a strong asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 26.03.2023 at midnight (00h00 CET).
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IPT-KT-2023-25-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Legal Adviser