Communications and Advocacy Specialist
- Organization: UNWOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Bishkek
- Grade: Consultancy - SB-4 (SC8/SC9), Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement
- Legal - Broad
- Political Affairs
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2023-03-26
UN Women is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programmes, and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and truly benefit women and girls worldwide. It works globally to make the vision of the Sustainable Development Goals a reality for women and girls and stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on four strategic priorities: Women lead, participate in and benefit equally from governance systems; Women have income security, decent work and economic autonomy; All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence; Women and girls contribute to and have greater influence in building sustainable peace and resilience, and benefit equally from the prevention of natural disasters and conflicts and humanitarian action. UN Women also coordinates and promotes the UN system’s work in advancing gender equality.
Since 2001 UN Women (previously as UNIFEM) in Kyrgyzstan has implemented catalytic initiatives on promoting women’s economic, political, and social rights. In 2012 a full Country Office (CO) was established. UN Women Kyrgyzstan began operating in 2012 as one of the first UN Women Country Offices in Central Asia. Today, UN Women Kyrgyzstan is the leading international organization working to protect the rights, security, equality, and dignity of women and girls in Kyrgyzstan.
In promoting gender equality and protecting the rights of women and girls in the country, UN Women is a reliable partner for the government, international and private sector partners, civil society organizations, activist movements, and civic activists. UN Women Kyrgyzstan prioritizes initiatives and programs in areas that are fundamental to women's equality and can contribute to the progress and development of gender equality: Women's economic empowerment Ending violence against women and girls (EVAWG) Women, Peace and Security, Women in Leadership, National planning and budgeting, Coordination of the UN system. By chairing the UN Gender Thematic Group, UN Women Kyrgyzstan serves as the leading agency on strategic support and advice to United Nations country teams in enhancing gender mainstreaming efforts in Kyrgyzstan.
Reporting to the National Programme Officer/Head of Programs, Communications and Advocacy Specialist will collaborate closely with the Country Programme colleagues to ensure communications strategies, media relations and organizational outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications policies and initiatives. Communications and Advocacy Specialist also collaborates with Regional Office and Country Office colleagues to support outreach campaigns, resource mobilization and donor relations initiatives; Communications and Advocacy Specialist mobilizes support in conjunction with intergovernmental processes and support the activities and special events organized for UN Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead the development and implementation of communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans of County Office
- Lead the development of the CO communication strategy;
- Design, develop, and implement communication strategy of the CO and lead outreach/advocacy strategies; including media strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and prepare reports;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy as appropriate;
- Launch in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local/regional campaigns and special events.
Manage media relations
- Lead relationship building with media in country; maintain and update database of relevant media;
- Respond timely and clearly to media inquiries and to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence; identify topics, background information, news-related development and coverage of interest;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing with media;
- Facilitate interactions of UNW Leadership with media;
- Provide inputs.
Oversee the County Office’s web presence
- Oversee and maintain websites, including developing design and content;
- Coordinate COs’ web-presence in the line with corporate web policy;
- Oversee and manage Co’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy.
Lead the development and dissemination of UNW& GEWE visibility of the Country Office
- Develop and produce communication and advocacy instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and articles and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Identify and launch information opportunities, activities, approaches, and platforms and partners;
- Provide advice on advocacy materials and coordinate launching flagship initiatives and publications in the country;
- Lead the engagement and supervision of video producers to produce audio/ visual material on UN Women’s work;
- Develop brochures, factsheets, stories from the field to inform media and general public at the country level;
- Follow guidelines from and report to Regional Office /Headquarters.
Contribute to partnerships with donors and other partners
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility; manage and nurture existing partnerships;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Guide and collaborate closely with communication colleagues in other offices to ensure consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives;
- Perform any other tasks are assigned by the Management which required for the smooth running and success of the County Office implementation.
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality communications strategy and timely implementation which leads to greater exposure and understanding of UN Women’s work
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content or the website and social media channels
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Regular interactions with donors, as shown in increased funds
- Regular exchange of information between COs in the region as shown in coherent and relevant regional public presence
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Strong knowledge of managing web-based knowledge management systems
- Strong understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Strong knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Strong oral and written communication and editing skills.
- Strong communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to provide advice and be strategic and analytical.
- Good knowledge of local country media landscape
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues is desirable.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from
https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment.
Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)
Applications without the completed P-11 form are incomplete and will NOT be considered for further assessment!