Electrical Engineer (EN-AA-AS-2023-27-LD)
- Organization: CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Mid/Senior level - Grade 6 - Professional roles - Only open to Nationals of all CERN Member States and Associate Member States
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Mechanics and Electronics (Engineering)
- Closing Date:
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an electrical engineer, experienced in project and contract management and interested in becoming an expert in detection and protection systems? Join the Alarm Systems (AS) section and contribute with your skills and expertise to deploy new alarm systems and consolidate existing ones. You would be leading several projects in parallel, relying on CERN services and contractors to ensure their accomplishment. Furthermore, you would be involved in the design of smart and robust solutions for non-standard installations, such as, long tunnels underground, radioactive environments, areas with very strong magnetic fields, electromagnetic interferences, and many others – Take part!
As the Electrical Engineer in the AS section, you will manage the design and the implementation of several fire and gas alarm systems in parallel, for new installations and/or the consolidation of existing ones and take responsibility for the results. You will master applicable regulations and ensure their application. You will integrate existing industrial detection components into robust systems that satisfy customers’ needs and risk analysis requirements. The components used cover a wide variety of sensors, control panels, signals, infrastructure for Ethernet connectivity, remote management, and cabling to alert and maintain a safe state in case of alarm or fault. You will be expected to master the manufacturers’ programming and configuration software and will work in close collaboration with the maintenance team, installation team, CERN health and safety inspectors, and maintain a good working relationship with our different suppliers.
Your functions will include:
- Project management: ensure the realisation of several projects in parallel in due time and within budget, from the definition of the needs to the installation and commissioning;
- Design engineering: design of very-low-voltage electrical safety systems (analogue/digital) involving automatic safety actions. Ensure adequacy between design, protected risks, and costs;
- Mastering of CERN safety rules, fire and gas detection standards, installation rules from host states, and functional safety standards (i.e. IEC 61508/61511), ensuring their respect;
- Drawing-up of test protocols and performance of tests and systems commissioning,
- Writing technical specifications (e.g new cable, etc..) and technical notes (e.g prototyping results); ensuring communication in safety and technical committees;
- Manage tendering process and subsequent contract;
- Taking an active part in industrial collaborations with safety system manufacturers and leading the construction of prototypes whenever is required;
- Technological watch and standards awareness to define best renewal strategies;
- Design, document and manufacture electromechanical equipment (e.g. supports for detector and signals).
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Electrical Engineering or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in design of low-voltage electrical installations and analogue signal treatment;
- Demonstrated experience in Project Management of electrical installations;
- Proven experience in Contract Management of industrial support contracts;
- Proven experience in writing Technical Specification in French or English;
- Initial experience with fire/gas detection systems would be an advantage;
- Initial experience with the application of French, Swiss and International safety regulations (e.g. ATEX, R7, etc.) and safety standards (i.e IEC61508/IEC61511) would be an advantage.
- Initial experience with office software packages such as Autocad, Autocad Electrical and CATIA would be an advantage;
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks
- Design and modelling of low-voltage electrical circuits and networks
- Knowledge and application of electromagnetic compatibility, interference and susceptibility
- Contract management
- Setting Direction: coordinating activities and focusing team on goals and objectives; monitoring progress of team towards agreed goals and taking corrective action when needed
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
- Solving Problems: finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships
- Communicating Effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented
Spoken and written English or French and an undertaking to learn the other language rapidly.
Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.04.2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EN-AA-AS-2023-27-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Engineer