Tobacco Control Expert
- Organization: ACBF - African Capacity Building Foundation
- Location: Harare
- Grade: Mid level - PL-I, Professional Staff position - Internationally recruited position
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: Closed
The African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) is the leading institution for capacity development in Africa. With membership from 40 African Countries, the African Development Bank, the United Nations Development Program, and The World Bank, the organization was created to build human capital and institutional capacity for Africa’s sustainable development.
ACBF focuses on improving the effectiveness of Africa’s public sector institutions at country, regional, and continental levels to become effective systems integrators and catalysers of sustainable and transformative change.
Since its creation in 1991, ACBF has trained more than 50,000 personnel in civil service, most of whom hold key positions in Ministries of Finance, Planning or Economic Development and Central Banks across the continent. The Foundation has established a network of over 50 think tanks supporting evidence-based policymaking across Africa and conducted over 290 policy research/analysis, which has been critical in informing economic management and establishing benchmarks for success.
ACBF’s strategy for the next five years will focus on responding to the current needs identified by member states and on building human capital and institutions for the future.
The African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) has supported tobacco control interventions in Africa since 2014. ACBF ‘s support focuses on research and academic institutions and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) involved in tobacco control (TC) through grant-making and capacity development services. The Tobacco Control Expert coordinates collaboration work with other Tobacco Control partners and enhances the technical capabilities of Tobacco Control organizations and CSOs for effective TC advocacy for policy change and implementation in Africa.
Working closely with other staff on the Tobacco Control project, the Tobacco Control Expert will perform the following tasks, among other duties:
1. Technical support
i. Contribute to project implementation for effective delivery of program activities.
ii. Develop effective tobacco control resources, interventions, tools, and guidelines to the African/country context.
iii. Conduct training and provide other capacity development activities to sub-grantees and other partners upon request.
iv. Support sub-grantees to develop and maintain a pool of tobacco control partners, networks, and institutions in their countries.
v. Lead the development of project proposals for the scaling of TC interventions.
2. Knowledge and advocacy support
i. Lead the development and strengthening of the Foundation’s knowledge generation, sharing, and utilization process in Tobacco Control activities.
ii. Ensure up-to-date, evidence-based information on tobacco control interventions and policies are integrated into ACBF and TC grantees’ work.
iii. Develop and propose strategies to scale up Tobacco Control efforts in African countries.
iv. Conduct, disseminate, and publish sound research position papers on TC in the African context.
v. Identify, document, and share best practices on tobacco control programs from organizations and CSOs worldwide.
vi. Represent ACBF at the Conference of Parties (COP and Meetings of Parties (MOP) and play an advocacy role and promote TC activities in meetings, conferences, and other fora.
vii. Promote TC activities using information media and website and lead the production of a monthly Bulletin on key TC activities.
viii. Contribute to the design and delivery of TC knowledge-related activities, including training sessions, with ACBF partners.
3. Inputs to ACBF corporate activities
i. Update ACBF Management on key international events on Tobacco Control and any new developments.
ii. Ensure that the tobacco control page of the ACBF website is updated.
iii. Participate in the preparation and implementation of the Capacity Needs Assessment and Capacity Profiling exercise.
iv. Participate in the appraisal of project proposals for relevance to the tobacco control agenda and ensure compliance with ACBF’s standards and operational guidelines.
v. Support the maintenance of an up-to-date database on projects and prepare briefs on Tobacco Control Projects.
vi. Provide inputs into the monthly, quarterly, biannual, and annual activity reports, interim financial, audit reports, and end-of-project reports.
vii. Provide inputs and participate in the Coordinating meeting with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and other partners.
viii. Contribute to the annual report to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and to the ACBF annual report.
ix. Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Required qualifications and experience
Selection will be competitive based on the following candidate profile:
· Master’s degree in Public Health, Law, Economics, Public or Business Administration, International Development, or a related field from a recognized institution.
· Six (6) years’ experience in Tobacco Control research, advocacy, training, and working with civil society organizations.
· Proven track record of designing and implementing projects or initiatives that have achieved advocacy and policy change.
· Ability to work independently with little supervision, taking personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed results.
· English and French are the working languages of ACBF. For this position, fluency in oral and written English and French languages is required.
· Strong strategic and analytical thinking skills and the ability to partner effectively with grantees and stakeholders.
· Excellent writing skills: proven track record of publishing will be an added advantage.
· Strong organizing, work planning, and scheduling skills, capable of handling large volumes of assignments accurately and thoroughly while balancing several multiple agendas.
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and proven ability to prepare reports clearly and concisely, present, discuss, and defend issues, findings, and recommendations
· Ability to effectively use software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Outlook. Experience with project management in ERP systems would be an asset.
· Good working knowledge of English and French languages.
Applications, quoting the reference “Tobacco Control Expert/01/2023,” including curriculum vitae with three (3) referees, should be received at the address below by 31 March 2023.
The Executive Secretary
The African Capacity Building Foundation
P.O. Box 1562
For detailed information and the application process, visit our website on https://www.acbf-pact.org/work-us/vacancies
Please note, only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified female candidates to apply.
ACBF is a smoke-free environment.
ACBF is a multicultural organisation that believes in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. It is made up of a team of progressive, passionate, and innovative individuals. The Foundation offers a collaborative, learning and rewarding work environment. ACBF respects the contribution of each team member and believes in investing in the professional and personal growth of its employees.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: