National Soil Specialist – Soil Component
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Baku
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Biology and Chemistry
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: Closed
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan is currently implementing “Improvement of Seed and Agro-Chemical Laboratory and Certification Services under the Agrarian Services Agency” project under FAO-Azerbaijan Partnership Programme (FAPP, 2016-2021). The project aims to improve the activities of laboratories operating under ASA through development of effective management and oversight system, technical capacity building, provision of necessary equipment, adoption of new and state of the art methodologies/methods, international certification and ensuring the delivery of these services to farmers via online platform.
Under the overall supervision of the Assistant to FAO Representative in Azerbaijan (AFAOR), the direct and operational supervision of the Program Management Specialist (FAPP), the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and responsible FAO Technical Team,.
Evaluate, analyse and present soil analysis methods, facilitate fieldwork and collection of representative soil profiles, develop and conduct training programs.
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Assistant to FAO Representative in Azerbaijan (AFAOR), the direct and operational supervision of the Program Management Specialist (FAPP), the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and responsible FAO Technical Team, the incumbent will carry out the following activities:
• Ensure the preparation and periodical revision of the work plan of the soil component, in collaboration with key project stakeholders;
• Facilitate technical coordination and collaboration between the national and international consultants, laboratory and field teams;
• Advise on the identification of the participants for workshops and other engagements that require participation of different actors;
• Guide the implementation of capacity development programme (soil survey, soil data management and digital soil mapping);
• Solicit inputs from consultants to prepare regular reports;
• Coordinate field teams and soil surveys;
• Guide implementation of training program for field soil survey and laboratory analysis;
• Undertake field work on soil survey;
• Facilitate field work training during the soil surveying of preselected areas and collection of representative soil profiles;
• Participate in training of laboratory work and review the analyses of collected soil samples;
• Contribute to the analysis of soil samples collected during the soil survey;
• Process and review the analyses of collected soil samples;
• Participate in the process of validation of the soil analyses;
• Complete evaluation, validation and preparation of soil profile data for creation of soil database.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural sciences, soil science or related field and focus on soil mapping, soil surveys and soil classification;
• 7 years of years of experience in soil surveys, data analysis and management, soil classification and soil mapping, planning, setting up and undertaking field surveys, conducting, and supporting scientific organizations and research activities;
• Working knowledge of English is required;
• National of Azerbaijan or a resident with a valid work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: