- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Bishkek
- Grade: Administrative support - Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education
- Administrative support
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: Closed
Background and Organizational Context
As the United Nations lead agency on international development, UNDP works in 170 countries and territories to eradicate poverty and reduce inequality. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities, and to build resilience to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. Our work is concentrated in three focus areas; sustainable development, democratic governance and peace building, and climate and disaster resilience. UNDP advocates for change, and connects countries to global knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life.
UNDP has supported Kyrgyzstan’s development progress since 1992 and supports the country in charting future pathways towards greater prosperity, resilience, and social cohesion. As an impartial policy advisor and integrator, UNDP works within the UN system and with all stakeholders in government, civil society, and private sector to advance inclusive, fundamentally sound development solutions and reforms in complex settings. Our United Nations identity ensures neutrality and respect for people’s choices. Transparency and accountability in operations makes us a trusted partner for national and international development stakeholders.
UNDP encourages and enables collective intelligence, collaboration, integration, critical thinking, and thought leadership. We mainstream innovation, digitalization opportunities, gender equity and diversity/inclusion principles in all aspects of our work. Our staff consistently strive for excellence, effectiveness, efficiency and inclusion across all areas of work.
The Communications team advises on and coordinates external communications, including social media, donor and NGO/CSO engagement and development and acts as a strong champion for youth inclusion. Special attention is given to a press occurrences to undertake necessary steps to further disseminate or address issue(s) brought by media, advise on communication and counter- strategies, liaise with corporate communication units in RBEC, and accompany in media remedies implemented by UNDP.
The unit contributes to a collective engagement with other teams, partners, and clients to offer timely, well-planned, and efficient services that meet the standard and requirements of UNDP policies and procedures. Through cross-unit collaboration, the teams harness innovation and digital solutions, while fostering an environment of continuous learning.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Communications Analyst, the Communications Assistant supports the implementation of the communications and outreach strategies of the office to increase the standing and awareness of UNDP with partners, the media, and the public. The Communications Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach in UNDP.
The Communications Assistant works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, and Project staff in the Country Office, and the UNDP Regional Communications Adviser, as required.
Key Duties and Accountabilities
1. Supports the implementation of CO communications and outreach strategies and CO publications policy
• Support designing, marketing and maintaining of the UNDP website as well as support with feeding media and visibility materials to the national partners’ websites if applicable.
• In cooperation with Programme staff, produce reports, stories and blogs highlighting developments, achievements and successes.
• Maintain and develop collegial relationships with government, donors, civil society organizations; communication counterparts from UN agencies, local media outlets at national and provincial levels as well as with groups and organizations whose support is essential to enhance cooperation and ensure coherence in public information activities and messages.
• Develop information and outreach materials and activities, including fact sheets, newsletters, blogs, tweets, brochures, preparation of content for web sites and digital media platforms, photo essays, video and media campaigns for broadcast and print media.
• Assist the Communications Analyst in coordinating the branding, quality assurance, and other communications work of the extended communications team.
• Archiving up-to-date documentation for publications, clippings, as well as photographic and audio-visual materials. Supports documentation of innovations and best practices.
• Maintain current Facebook pages and other social networks and manage the content.
• Dissemination of information and publications; assistance at public events such as roundtable discussions, seminars, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews.
• Logistical support to the organization of publicity/outreach for the CO programme and projects, knowledge-sharing events and promotional opportunities, especially UN information campaigns (UNSDCF, UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.).
• Extraction of data from various sources for UNDP Communication Unit
• Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources.
• Arrangement of briefings and regular meetings with other UN agencies in the CO and with national and international media.
• Review of translations, contacts with printers and other suppliers to ensure production.
• Support to communication activities promoting the UNDP image and visibility is provided
• Series of events is organized in regions of the country to increase the UNDP visibility
• Develop communication products with support of program and project managers to promote International UN days in social and traditional media.
• Organize coverage of the UNDP events by writing releases and their disseminating using different channels, taking photos, and live broadcast, if necessary.
• Assist in promotion of UNDP social media platforms.
• Monitor media for the mentioning of UNDP with the aim of analyzing the dynamics of UNDP promotion.
• Compile a weekly edition and best highlights of the week.
2. Administrative support to the communications team.
• Facilitating the processing of contracts for consultants, vendors and external partners that support the office in programme delivery. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, and making necessary logistical arrangements. Keeps vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters up to date.
• Collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and thereafter preparing them for further processing.
• Preparing and maintaining records, documents, and control plans for the monitoring of project/programme implementation and financial expenditures.
• Supporting the management of administrative supplies and office equipment.
• Maintaining the Communication office calendar and arranging meetings. Taking minutes of meetings and keeping the correspondence of the team well organized.
• Preparing and maintaining records pertaining to programme planning and development for his/her respective section.
• Supporting capacity development activities, meetings, and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts; arranging times through liaising with participants over availability; liaising with budget focal points and section over costs and needs; and preparing background materials for participants.
• Other administrative and logistical support to the communications team, including for initiatives such as media workshops, press briefings, project visits, report launches, etc.
• Proper implementation of activities by vendors are monitored, including assurance of their reporting in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
• Efficient tender processes are supported through providing technical specifications and advice to the procurement team.
• Visibility items are produced, tracked, and distributed per the agreement with the programmes and projects.
• The UNDP CO publications and brochures are regularly updated and distributed throughout the year with the focus on regions.
• Budgetary support in the ERP as required, including creation of vendors, travel claims.
3. Facilitation of knowledge building and management.
• Identification and documenting of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
• Support the organization of training, consultancy, and advice to UNDP staff on internal and external communications for development.
Perform other duties within your functional profile as assigned and deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the office.
• Secondary education and a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in either, Public Relations, Mass Communications, Journalism, Publishing, or International Relations and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
• Minimum 5 years (with secondary education) or 2 years (with Bachelor degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications, or advocacy.
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge, and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
• Experience in digital communications is required
• Experience in working with media is required
• Experience in social media is an advantage
• Experience in website management desirable
• Knowledge of Adobe software solutions (Photoshop, Audition, Premiere, etc.) is an asset
• Language requirements: Fluency in English, Russian and Kyrgyz language required
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: