Vegetable Business Officer
- Organization: ICRAF - The World Agroforestry Centre
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Operations and Administrations
- Sustainable Business Development
- Closing Date: Closed
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
CIFOR-ICRAF is looking for a Vegetable Business Officer
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop feasibility studies and business plans for the establishment and operation of pilot vegetable aggregation centers in 3 different counties in Kenya, based on the concept note that has been developed by V4P&P.
- Quantify project revenue streams based on sale of produce, logistics, business development services, storage, value addition, member fees, and other fees. Develop a cost structure for the aggregation centers.
- Liaise with the anticipated clients of the aggregation centers, such as vegetable producers, agro-input providers, service providers, transporters, traders, and buyers, derived from existing vegetable business networks (VBNs) in the project.
- In liaison with the project communication officer, media, other stakeholders, and field days, promote the values of the aggregation centers and its products among consumers and the wider community.
- Promote accountability, transparency, and good leadership.
- Monitor and document the operation of aggregation centers for the purpose of learning, sharing lessons with stakeholders, and reporting.
- Manage other activities: identification and acquisition of land, design of aggregation center, building of infrastructure, consultative meetings with stakeholders, set up a management committee for each center, capacity building of management committees.
- Identify and mitigate potential risks within your work area.
- Take reasonable care of own occupational health and safety and that of others as obliged by CIFOR-ICRAF’s Occupational Health and Safety Policy and cooperate with CIFOR-ICRAF in complying with requirements under any statutory health and safety provisions of relevant Country laws.
- Liaise with V4P&P project to coordinate complementary activities.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Kenya Country Director.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness, or related field.
• Minimum three years’ experience in agricultural value chains, facilitating upstream and downstream linkages.
• Proven experience in building capacity of agricultural enterprises.
• Proven experience in liaising with public-, and private partners, and linking smallholder farmers to markets, particularly for perishable products.
Personal attributes and competencies
• Excellent computer skills in MS‐office applications (Word, Excel, Power point).
• Team player with excellent communication skills in spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact with partners and colleagues in a multi-cultural setting.
Terms and conditions
• This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position. ICRAF offers competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience.
• The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, inclusive of a 6-month probationary period, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
• The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya.
The application deadline is 22 Mar, 2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: