Assistant, Regional Finance
- Organization: IFRC - International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Banking and Finance
- Closing Date: Closed
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
IFRC has five regional delegations in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
This position is part of the Middle East and Nort Africa (MENA) Regional Finance and Administration Unit in Beirut, Lebanon.
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, the incumbent is responsible for providing support to the Regional Office in various finance tasks to ensure the smooth day-to-day operation. The Finance Assistant provides support to the Finance Unit in the delivery of finance services in support of the region’s operational programmes, with special emphasis in the booking of all the transactions in the accounting system.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure daily data input into financial system in an accurate, efficient, and timely manner
- Review the payment authorizations submitted for signature, ensuring that all supporting documentation is attached.
- Check that the financial codes are correct before booking the transactions.
- Ensure that all payments are validated by the Finance Officer and approved by the project manager.
- Booking of all the transactions in the financial system.
- Check pending invoices received from suppliers and advise on the required action.
- Submit the monthly field returns files in accordance with the deadlines, ensuring the availability of all supporting documents.
- Provide staff with the necessary financial templates and support on how to fill them.
- Organize and file the documents, according to the standard filing system.
Assist the Finance Manager and Finance Officer in the month and year-end closing.
- Assist in the reconciliation of the bank and cash accounts, and keep track of the balances.
- Assist in the reconciliation of NSSF (social security) and income taxes via the Ministry of Finance (monthly and yearly)
- Allocate monthly expenses of pre-payments such as landlords, insurance, etc. after doing the necessary calculations.
- Preparing and booking the reallocations and corrections, when requested.
- Assist the Finance Manager/Officer in clearing the balance sheet upon request.
- Assist the Finance Manager/Officer in the booking of reallocations or corrections.
Assist in the monthly reconciliation of working advances.
- Assist in the clearance and reporting of working advances.
- Prepare reconciliation of balance sheet items every month.
- Calculate, reconcile, and advise staff on the outstanding working advance amount.
Other Assigned Tasks
- Prepare reconciliation and payment requests with all necessary supporting documentation.
- Assist the Finance Manager/Officer in staff travel accounts reconciliations.
- Follow-up with suppliers/staff regarding pending invoices.
- Preparing the request for creating suppliers’ codes.
- Prepare and submit the monthly VAT declaration.
- Preparing invoices monthly.
- Assist the finance team in the review of payments, and signatures, when needed.
- Establish and ensure effective working relationships with the staff and management of the MENA Regional Office.
- Ensure and promote compliance with the Federation's financial procedures, budgeting system, monthly accounts closure, bank reconciliation, and processes.
- Prepare requisitions for stationery for the regional finance unit.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Finance Manager or Finance Officer.
Duties applicable to all staff
1. Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
2. Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
3. Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
Relevant degree (minimum bachelor’s degree) or equivalent experience in Administration, financial management accounting -Required
Relevant professional /academic qualification in finance or accounting -Required
- 2 to 4 years of professional experience in a finance or accounting department -Required
- 2+ years of field experience in a humanitarian organization -Preferred
- Red Cross / Red Crescent movement, other international organizations, large NGOs, and governmental development agencies -Preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Advanced computer skills, working knowledge of windows, spreadsheets, word processing, and accounting packages
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Accuracy and attention to details
- Organized and self-starter in work prioritizing
- Experience working with web-based accounting software
- Fluently spoken and written Arabic -Required
- Fluently spoken and written English -Required
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Russian) -Preferred
Competencies, Values and Comments
- Commitment to working with RCRC Movement
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Integrity and personal conduct
- NS and Customer Relations
- Building trust
IFRC ensures equal employment opportunities!
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: