- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Belgrade
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-03-25
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UNDP in Serbia, under the overall Good Governance cluster, has a portfolio dedicated to Public Administration Reform and Rule of Law, consisting of initiatives in the field of public administration reform and public policy, support to transparent and accountable public spending, participative decision-making, support to institutional structures dedicated to human resource management, as well as smaller interventions in the area of rule of law, such as support to transitional justice and reconciliation in the region.
The EU Support to Confidence Building in the Western Balkans project will support confidence-building activities in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, and Kosovo through provision of expertise and support to better equip judicial and law enforcement authorities in handling war crimes cases at the domestic level, improve conditions for regional cooperation in case processing, enhance delivery of support services to victims and witnesses and strengthen capacities for victim support, towards victim-centered and human rights-based domestic handling of war crimes. It will support public awareness of past crimes, dialogue and exchanges amongst stakeholders, especially youth and future opinion leaders. The aim is to increase accountability for war crimes and enhance dialogues about crimes committed during the 1990s, towards sustainable peace, resilient societies, and stronger social cohesion.
UNDP Serbia is implementing domestic activities related to this project and contribute to project objectives through four, interlinked outputs:
- Output 1: Judicial authorities in the region are better equipped to handle war crimes
- Output 2: Improved conditions for regional cooperation on war crimes
- Output 3: Increased delivery of gender sensitive support services to victims and witnesses of war crimes and stronger capacity of relevant actors
- Output 4: Grassroots actors better equipped to raise public awareness and foster mutual understanding through fact-based dialogues about crimes committed during the 1990s conflicts on the territory of the former Yugoslavia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibility for implementation of Project Activities:
- Ensure implementation of project activities, by working closely with UNDP Serbia, UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub and EU project teams and other staff assigned to the projects;
- Contribute to overall integration of the project into the country's activities, policies, and plans;
- Contribute to preparation of annual work plans with indicative scheduling of identified main outputs and activities as guidance documents for the formulation and review of annual work plans;
- Provide guidance and reviews of technical specifications of project outputs and activities;
- Supervise consultants and subcontractors engaged in delivering aspects of the project's work plans;
- Organize and coordinate project activities such as workshops, studies and publications, subcontracts, equipment, and administrative support;
- Support close coordination between other relevant projects and programmes, both in-country and those led by the partners and other organizations;
- Facilitate coordination and other support from consultants hired for the Project, and for any relevant missions directly related to the Project;
- Ensure that the Project produces the outcomes at the required standards and within the specified cost and time limits;
- Encourage shared learning with national partners.
Providing technical advice and support to the implementation of the Project activities:
- In consultation with the partners prepare TORs for consultants and comment on their reports;
- Supports the development of policies related to confidence building and monitoring-verification- reporting mechanisms;
- Co-develop relevant policy briefs, lessons learned documents, communication materials, website updates, and other relevant publications.
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the overall Project deliverables:
- Carry out regular follow-up and monitoring of implementation activities; regular updates on the Project’s progress to key stakeholders according to the communication plan.
- Prepare regular project progress reports for submission to the Portfolio Manager for review and clearance and submit to the Regional Project Manager according to the agreed timetable.
Knowledge management and gender equality
- Coordinate wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Coordinate dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
- Coordinate the transfer of projects deliverables, documents, files, equipment, and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Ensures gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the project activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in Project knowledge management activities and products.
The key results have an impact on the efficient, effective, transparent, and accountable implementation of the Project.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
Business Acumen and Commercial Thinking
- Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome:
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks
- Ability to create clarity around UNDP value proposition to beneficiaries and partners and to develop service offers responding to client needs based on UNDP’s organizational priorities and mandate
Effective decision making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
Negotiation and Influence
- Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates ‘win-win’ situations
- Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Ability to apply new digital tools or adapting their original use to create new insights, fresh perspectives or develop solutions. Understand the potential as well as the limitations of certain technological developments; being able to identify how technology can add value when it's used as a "means to an end”.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in social sciences, or related studies.
- Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of qualifying work experience can be considered in lieu of Master's degree.
- Minimum 2 years (with Bachelor's degree) of relevant professional experience in the fields of project coordination and management.
- Good application of Results-Based Management
- Excellent communication, coordination and facilitation skills
- Consistently ensures timeliness and quality of work
- Establishes lasting relationships and substantive dialogue with clients
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Management position on the EU funded project, previous experience in confidence building in the region, war crimes or implementation of similar projects
- Proven leadership skills, ability to organize and motivate team, deliver when working under pressure and within changing circumstances
- Experience in managing complex (multi-partner) projects
- Excellent writing/reporting and presentation skills
- Fluency in English language.
- Fluency in Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian languages.
The incumbent will report directly to Program Analyst on Good Governance.
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.