Operational Data Analyst
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Operations and Administrations
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: Closed
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Job Title: Operational Data Analyst
Type of Contract: Consultant
Division: NGO – NGO Partnerships Unit
Duty Station (City, Country): Rome HQ, Italy
Duration: 11 months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The Operational Data Analyst works with WFP NGO Unit and end-users to maintain current data core to the NGO unit digital roadmap and support end-to-end data solutions on corporate tools such as DOTS and Tableau, addressing core business questions and outcomes from end users of NGO unit Digital Products. Using rapid iteration cycles and eliciting constant feedback from end-users, decision-makers, project focal points and fellow team members, the incumbent is expected to help determine necessary solutions.
Combining knowledge of data analytics, data engineering, data governance, project management, and excellent communication skills, the Operational Data Analyst will be equally comfortable discussing technical issues with developers.
Specifically, the Operational Data Analyst will be dedicated to the NGO unit digital workstream supporting existing use cases and new requirements, specifically the FLA Tracker and FLA Management Module. The Analyst will work closely with the Field Data Team, DOTS team members, the Product Manager and under the supervision of the NGO unit Digital Solutions Manager to own the end-to-end process of designing, implementing, and presenting data in ways that help end-users and assist in the continuous improvement of Partnership data.
- Understand the data domain, the data catalogue definitions (if any) and the data flows.
Accountable and responsible for the end-to-end process of supporting the creation, implementation, and roll out of workflows:
- Explore requirements, impact analysis and alternative solutions and mutually agree on them with the business.
- Document and classify requirements and decisions.
- Work with the digital team to model the solution to the business problem. You will function as the data expert, and throughout user interviews also as the end-to-end process expert, owning the overall workflow architecture and implementation scope. Define and detail the information model, the user interface model (which DOTS platform tools to use), the use cases, the integration model, and the reporting model.
- Work hands-on in the data tools to support the build of the end-to-end tools and workflows together with the developers on the team. Although no previous programming skills are required (but can be useful) for this role, an ideal candidate will have high technical aptitude and be comfortable picking up technical tasks and implement them in the platform.
- Prepare ad hoc data analysis and visualizations as required by the NGO Unit members for their stakeholder engagement and presentations in collaboration with team members.
- Provide suggested insights into what the business users can use the solutions for to derive analytical insights, given your know-how of the business problems (post user interviews) as well as the platform.
- Interact with the development and platform governance teams to discuss and clarify specifications. Interact with Platform engagement to identify success metrics.
- Conduct high level testing that functionality works (iterative process) as required prior to handing over for formal testing with business owners and end-users.
- With the developers on the team, ensure workflows can progress from active implementation status to steady-state post-roll out.
- Support the rollout the FLA tracker with the DOTS rollout team and other members of the NGO Unit Digital Team
- Take end-user feedback to continuously improve workflows.
- Rollout solutions through webinars, creating and maintaining training and user guides on the specific solutions with the DOTs rollout team (as appropriate) and other NGO unit digital team members.
- Lead data cleaning and data validation exercises, in collaboration with the Field Data Team, the DOTs team members and other teams and units as required.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
- Preparation of data visualizations and presentations required for the engagement and reporting of the NGO unit in collaboration with all NGO unit team members thru the collecting different use cases.
- Technical contributions to the FLA tracker and FLA management tools.
- Demonstrated progress on delivery of DOTS workflows against design and business owner expectations, incl. auxiliary non-platform specific deliverables.
- DOTS data views and analytical components developed using the tools available on the platform (pre-requisite: completion of training on DOTS and DOTS tools).
- Contribution towards usage of DOTS (e.g. usage in workflow design)
- Required technical/non-technical documentation and review/approval processes completed for assigned projects.
- Project metrics established and method for data collection established for each project.
- Change management artifacts (e.g. webinars, presentations) completed.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
University degree in computer science or other relevant disciplines.
3+ years of relevant and progressively more responsible data analytics and/or data science work with experience on 2+ relevant data projects in the development and humanitarian sector.
1+ year direct experience working on a project with data visualization outputs.
Desirable: 1+ year Experience working with Tableau and/or Palantir Foundry.
Desirable: 1+ year knowledge of WFP business processes.
Desirable: 1+ year Experience working with Partnership processes and data.
Knowledge & Skills:
Fluency (level C) in English language. Desirable: intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 21 March 2022
Ref.: VA No. 585474
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: