Individual contractor - Communications Support
- Organization: UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: Montreal
- Grade: Consultancy - International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: Closed
Result of Service
Contribute to and assist the Programme of Work on Communication, Education and Public Awareness (CEPA) and implementation of the Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework.Work Location
Six monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. At the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, world leaders agreed on a comprehensive strategy for 'sustainable development'. The Convention on Biological Diversity was opened for signature in Rio in 1992. The Convention has 196 Parties and three main objectives: the conservation of biological diversity, the sustainable use of its components, and the fair and equitable sharing of the benefits arising from the use of genetic resources. The Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD) is located in Montreal and is administered by United Nations Environment Programme. Its main tasks are to arrange for and service meetings of the Conference of the Parties, including preparation of pertinent documentation, operation of the central node of the clearing-house mechanism, liaison and coordination with other international bodies and processes and, in close collaboration with these partners, the provision of technical support for the effective implementation of the Convention.
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Information Officer for the CBD Secretariat.
• Assist the Information Officer with the re-establishment of the CEPA Informal Advisory Committee convened in response to COP decision VII/24.
• Assist with the drafting of information materials that support the CEPA programme of work and activities on all issues related to the realization of the three objectives of the Convention and in particular the implementation of goals and targets in the recently adopted “Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework” (GBF).
• Assist with the outreach campaign for the International Day for Biological Diversity, including ideas for a theme, list of activities and creating social media content for dissemination on all our social media platforms.
• Perform other relevant duties as required.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. Courses in Social sciences, political science is desirable.
A minimum of one year of working experience with organizing outreach campaigns, events or international meetings is required.
Proficiency in using new technologies, web-based platforms and social media networks is desirable.
Excellent computer skills are required, including the following: Microsoft Office, Adobe Illustrator (or equivalent), social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube.
Strong writing and editing skills in English language along with well-developed editorial judgement is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of other United Nations languages is desirable.
Local recruitment - Applicants should be Canadian residents or citizens or have permission to work in Canada.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: