DEPUTY PROJECT MANAGER (WASH) - BAIDOA; SOMALIA
- Organization: ACTED - Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development
- Location: Baidoa
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2023-03-24
Position: Deputy Project Manager-WASH
Department: Project Implementation Unit
Location: Baidoa, Somalia
Contract Duration: 31st December 2023
Direct Hierarchy: Project Manager
Starting date: May 2023
Background on ACTED
Created in 1993, ACTED is an international non-governmental organization pursuing a dual mandate of emergency response and development interventions in 40 of some of the world’s most vulnerable countries affected by conflicts, disasters, or socio-economic hardship. With a team of 7,000 national staff and 400 international staff, ACTED implements 500 projects a year to support more than 20 million beneficiaries, notably in hard-to-reach areas.
ACTED goes to the last mile through programs and approaches that look beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihood reconstruction and sustainable development. Guided by the motto “Think Local, Act Global” and its 3Zero –Zero Exclusion, Zero Carbon, and Zero Poverty – strategy, ACTED puts local territories at the centre and provides a tailored support to local needs.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced, and committed team player to fill the Deputy Project Manager (WASH) position in BAIDOA, Somalia.
ACTED is implementing a WASH response in the states of South West and is looking for skilled Deputy Project Manager.. The Deputy Project Manager assists in overseeing the implementation of the WASH project and ensures effective and timely completion of activities, delivery of quality outputs and achievement of outcomes with maximum impact for beneficiaries in line with the project objectives. The Deputy Project Manager assists in the supervision of the project staff in day-to-day management of all aspects of the project under the sector of responsibility and supports the liaison with relevant internal departments and external partners and project stakeholders.
- Develop project implementation tools and technical materials as needed;
- Plan and follow the various stages of project implementation and set direction by prioritizing and organizing activities and resources to achieve project objectives for field teams
- Project Implementation Follow-up
- Oversee and manage the implementation of the project’s field activities ensuring that technical. quality and standards are considered and respected during project implementation;
- Organize regular project coordination meetings with project team and with manager;
- Ensure budget utilization and physical target achievements are reviewed at least once a month as per work plan;
- Ensure project implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Coordinate with the Engineering Unit at base level on WASH related technical tasks such as assessments, BoQ modifications, technical monitoring and construction supervision;
- Ensure that the project is implemented in accordance with relevant ACTED technical guidelines and standards.
- Anticipate and mitigate risks and trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation.
- Regular update the work plan and other documents relevant for effective project management.
- Administration and Operational Management of Project Implementation
- Support the project manager in the review of project-related expenses and provide accurate forecasts with BOQs
- Support the project manager in the provision of forecast for monthly cash requirements.
- Support field team in the development of accurate and precise order forms in a timely manner.
- Confirm quality of material selection when applicable.
- Ensure a proper management and use of the project assets and stocks.
- Plan team movements based on available fleet and applicable policies.
- Participate in the recruitment of field staff (development of organigrams, ToRs, elaborating the tests and reviewing them; interviews, etc.);
- Ensure that project staff understand and can perform their roles and responsibilities.
- Follow-up the work plans, movements, and day-to-day activities of the project staff;
- Manage the project staff in cooperation with Project Manager;
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics inside and across departments;
- Undertake regular appraisals of staff and follow career management;
- Manage interpersonal conflicts;
- Ensure capacity building among staff in relevant sectors.
- Ensure project records and documents (beneficiary list, memorandum of understandings, photos, reports, attendance sheets, etc.) are adequately prepared, compiled and filed according to ACTED procedures and submit to Project Manager;
- Ensure staff awareness of, and respect of, ACTED’s code of conduct, and other policies;
- Ensure that each member of the project team is aware of security issues, policies, SOPs and they follow them accordingly;
- Monitor the local security situation and inform the Project Manager and Area Security Officer of developments encountered by Project team.
- government authorities and non-state actors, through regular attendance at technical meetings and bilateral meetings;
- Ensure that at all times that team’s contact with beneficiaries is conducted in a sensitive and respectful manner;
- Ensure proactive coordination with ACTED’s liaison department to secure security and access permits in a timely manner.
- Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Undertake regular field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision as well as regularly monitor the progress of project activities;
- Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared and reflected in project planning and shared across departments;
- Advise on, and assist with, project reviews conducted by AMEU;
- Ensure quality control, analysis of added-value and impact, identification and capitalization on best practices and lessons learnt and provide relevant feedback for new project development
- Identify and analyse gaps, ACTED’s added value, synergies and opportunities in the areas the project(s) is / are implemented and pass relevant information to the Project Manager.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to Project Manager and other team members
- Attend regular Project Coordination Meetings, Weekly Area Meetings, and, when appropriate, Consortium Coordination Meetings and provide structured updates on progress as well as ongoing challenges and bottlenecks.
Qualifications/Skills and Experience Required
- Must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in either Project Planning and Management, Water Sanitation and Hygiene or a closely related field from a recognized University with relevant experience working on emergencies.
- Must have a minimum of three years’ experience in an NGO with regards to the designing, planning, and implementation; supervising and reporting on WASH projects.
- Experience in working on donor funded programs and experience with BHA donor funded project
- Excellent capacity to plan, prioritize and multitask
- Structured approach to problem solving and ability to develop and maintain planning tools for workload planning and progress tracking
- Excellent team-working skills
- Flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good English skills, both oral and written
- ability to operate in multi-cultural environment when required
- Ability to organize and supervise large budgets
- Experience with ACTED (or similar international organization) logistical procedures
- Excellent computer literacy, including MSOffice (Word and Excel)
- Ability and willingness to travel to project locations and other ACTED operational hubs as necessary
- Knowledge of at least two of the primary ACTED implementation WASH sectors in Somalia along with cluster standards and guidelines is required
- Familiarity with Core Humanitarian Principals and sector standards (including SPHERE) is required
- Experience with cluster participation is required and while previous coordination role at sub-national or national level is a strong advantage.
- Previous experience working on or managing projects by primary donor institutions active in Somalia and familiarity with their procedures is an advantage
Qualified Nationals persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 24th March 2023.
The application should bear the subject line “DEPUTY PROJECT MANAGER (WASH), BAIDOA”
Please Apply for ONLY ONE POSITION
Do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.