- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-03-27
Project: Dealing with the Past: Memory for the future (Phase II)
Functional Title Project Associate
Expected starting date As soon as possible
In the framework of a Dealing with the Past programme UNDP is working on supporting national and local actors in their efforts to deal with the legacy of the past. Among that is the support provided to the Forum for Memory and Future, a gathering of more than 15 NGOs and individuals working on dealing with the past issues.
UNDP has been technically supporting this Forum before and since its creation in 2019 through coordination support, capacity building, implementation of activities, including their efforts to raise awareness and advocate on the issue of DWP, as well as work on developing a strategy for Lebanon on DwP.
Building on the successes and lessons of the first phase of the DWP project, UNDP will continue supporting the different national and local actors in their efforts to deal with the past. Throughout its interventions, the UN will apply a multi-pronged, inclusive, and victim/survivor-centered approach to ensure that the responses are grounded within the realities of Lebanese communities and based on a “do no harm approach” to minimize harm and maximize positive impacts. UNDP will participate in the discussions with donors to ensure continued funding for this three-year program, including with Finland who are highly likely to contribute with funding this program. The project aims to: Contribute, amplify, and scale up community-based gender sensitive reconciliation work to promote peaceful co-existence and a sense of belonging in Lebanon, while also calling for national and local actors’ leadership and accountability.
In doing this, the project will achieve the following outcomes:
1. National and local actors increasingly operate under a coordinated framework of action to address issues of national reconciliation.
2. Women and Men in Lebanon increasingly understand and accept alternative memories and truths and take action to prevent relapse into violence.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager/Peace Building Advisor, the Project Associate will coordinate and co-lead in the project implementation of UNDP related activities. He/she will work in close collaboration with project staff and project partners and will maintain close communication over operational issues as well as strategic opportunities arising from project implementation.
Scope of Work
Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Manager and the Project Analyst, the Project Associate will provide day to day logistical, coordination and admin to ensure the smooth running of the project, including:
- Support in the performance of procurement related operations in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures
- Prepare all logistical and administrative documents related to the project implementation in accordance with the UNDP rules and procedures
- Provide organizational and administrative support in implementation of project activities including organization of roundtables, workshops, trainings, working meetings and other events
- Provide support in monitoring the work of the partners of UNDP, ensuring smooth administrative, financial and activities implementation of the different interventions based on set timeframes
- Support in the monitoring and follow up on the work of the project’s consultants and tracking of deliverables
- Support the project’s partners namely the Forum for Memory and Future in the running of the Forum operations: administrative; logistical; operational and technical support including but not limited to: Follow up on the timely setting up and organization of FMF periodic meetings and keep track of management and administration of day-to-day operations to ensure effective operation of the forum; take minutes of meetings; Organize and keep track of the Forum internal documentation; Support the Forum logistically in planning and organizing events, workshops, and sessions (invitations; outreach; technical support online and offline; setting agendas; etc.
- Undertake tasks related to the preparation, organization, implementation and follow up on meetings and relevant documents preparation for project activities
- Assist in the preparation of budget revisions, expenditure reports, etc. in coordination with the UNDP finance department
- Assist in the preparation of project progress reports, work plans, newsletters, press releases, brochures, etc.
- Maintain of the filing and documents retrieval system; maintain proper inventory records
- Prepare security, travel, accommodation, and transport arrangements for project staff and partners
- Assist project staff in office communications, faxing, scanning, photocopying, etc.
- Assist in tasks related to contract management, especially in relation to procurement contracts
- Facilitate cooperation and exchange of information with and between partners
- Support in gathering information and success stories ideas from beneficiaries during field visits and trainings
The selected incumbent will be working under the overall guidance and the direct supervision of the Project Manager and the Project Analyst and in close coordination with the project team.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- Administration and Operations
Documents and Records management: Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving
- Business Management
Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
- Business Management
Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Business Management
Risk Management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
- Business Management
Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication, to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Completion of Secondary Education is required; or
- Bachelor’s degree in Political/Social Sciences, International Affairs or any other related field.
- Minimum 6 years with secondary education or 3 years with a Bachelor’s degree of relevant experience in the field of peacebuilding and/or dealing with the past.
Required skills and competencies
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Relevant experience in organizing and supporting actors in organizing activities (including workshops and meetings)
- Relevant field experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners; including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels
- French is an asset
Fluency in English and Arabic.
Desired additional skills and competencies
Previous experience in working with NGOs, the United Nations, peacebuilding and conflict resolution methodologies is an asset.