Project Manager (IPSA10)
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Juba
- Grade: Mid level - IPSA-10, International Personnel Services Agreement
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2023-03-28
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges to help empower lives and build resilient nations.
The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM) was set up as an international financing institution to increase resources to fight HIV, TB and Malaria. Due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic at the end of 2019, the Global Fund also established the Covid-19 Response Mechanism (C19RM), to support countries to mitigate the impact of Covid-19 on programs to fight HIV, TB and malaria, and initiates urgent improvements in health and community systems.
The Global Fund has supported large-scale prevention, treatment and care interventions against the three diseases. The purpose of GFATM is to attract, manage and disburse resources in a public-private partnership that will make sustainable and significant contribution to the reduction of mortality and morbidity caused by the three major diseases and contributing to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
UNDP is a key partner to the GFATM and is the UN Agency assuming the role of Interim Principal Recipient (PR) of GFTAM grants in South Sudan. In this role, UNDP assists the country to meet its main goals in reducing morbidity and mortality from HIV, TB and Malaria. UNDP is responsible for the financial and programmatic management of the GFTAM grants as well as for the procurement of health and non-health products. UNDP provides capacity development services to relevant national institutions, Sub-Recipients (SRs), and implementing partners in all areas of grant implementation. Currently (as of Janaury 2021), UNDP as PR bears the full responsibility of managing the grants under the New Funding Model 3 (NFM3) for HIV, TB and Malaria including interventions for building Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health (RSSH), and as well as the Covid-19 Response Mechanism (C19RM).
For the management and implementation of the Global Fund grants, UNDP has established a Program Management Unit (PMU) that is responsible for managing and coordinating projects' implementation and provide general guidance on Global Fund procedures to all SRs contracted to implement the programme.
UNDP South Sudan is seeking the services of a RSSH/C19RM Project Manager to manage the RSSH and C10RM Interventions under the GFATM grants.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The RSSH/C19RM Project Manager will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of interventions for RSSH and C19RM within the GFATM NFM3 HIV/TB grant managed by UNDP;
- Ensure timely signature of SR Agreements to implement RSSH and C19RM activities, timely disbursement of funds to SRs, and monitoring of SRs performance including issuing of SR Management Letters;
- Ensure effective and efficient utilization of RSSH and C19RM resources to achieve the desired outputs, outcomes and impact;
- Ensure timely financial and programmatic delivery of RSSH and C19RM interventions in line with the approved workplans and budgets;
- Ensure timely identification of issues affecting implementation of RSSH and C19RM interventions, promptly propose appropriate remedial actions and implement them accordingly;
- Ensure collaborative coordination with health sector partners supporting RSSH and Covid-19 interventions to avoid duplication of activities;
- Take the lead in compiling the best practices in implementing GFTAM RSSH and C19RM project activities at the country level and ensure that they are disseminated internally and externally;
- Develop knowledge products based on lessons learned, experiences and data generated through the RSSH programme activities implementation;
- Undertake any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
The RSSH/C19RM Project Manager will work under the supervision of the Global Fund Coordination Advisor to manage the RSSH and C19RM interventions of the GFATM grants managed by UNDP.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross Functional and Technical Competencies:
2030 Agenda People: Health:
- Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria (GFATM)
- Reallocation of Global Fund resources in line with GFATM guidance
- Health Emergencies
- Universal Health Coverage Monitoring
- National Strategic Plan / Policy for health
- Procurement services of health products
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in the areas of Medicine, Public Health, Sciences; Social Sciences.
- Bachelor’s degree in the related fields with additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Minimum 5 years with a Master’s degree or 7 years with a Bachelor’s degree of progressive relevant experience in managerial / project management;
- Experience in management of large and complex health projects in an emergency/post conflict/resource limited environment;
- Experience working with various stakeholders including government, donors and NGOs;
- Experience in developing proposals for health programs, including budgets, workplans and performance-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks;
- Strong knowledge of Global Fund’s rules, policies and procedures;
- Strong knowledge of UN and/or UNDP’s rules, policies and procedures is an asset;
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of quality donor reports;
- Deep understanding of health-related issues, having training on HIV/TB/Malaria will be an advantage;
- Experience working with HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis or other infectious diseases will be an asset.
Language: Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English is required. Working knowledge of the local language including Arabic is an added advantage.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.