APA Immigration Specialist
Salt Lake City
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: Salt Lake City
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Closing Date:
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC is at work today in more than 40 countries and in 26 U.S. cities. The IRC’s Resettlement, Asylum and Integration (RAI) department creates opportunities for refugees and other vulnerable migrants to survive and thrive in the US. RAI serves nearly 50,000 individuals each year in the US through a diverse portfolio of programs aimed at achieving outcomes in five impact areas: Health, Safety, Economic Wellbeing, Education, and Power.
IRC's immigration legal services program serves more than 14,000 individuals in 23 sites throughout the U.S. each year, providing accessible and critical legal representation and advice to immigrants and their families in order to acquire the highest level of immigration status available, keep families together, access their full rights, and successfully integrate in the U.S. The Immigration Program at the IRC in Salt Lake City is a vital part of services and is responsible for providing low-cost immigration legal assistance and expertise to individuals in Utah.
IRC is a lead agency responding to the Afghan evacuation and has served thousands of Afghan parolees in the last year. This position will focus on ensuring Afghan parolees and other clients have accurate and timely information and access to legal services through a range of services such as orientations, legal screenings, interpretation, and representation. This position will provide legal services to Afghans and will provide in-person and/or remote interpretation to facilitate, with accuracy, impartiality, and confidentiality, the language needs of Limited English Proficient (LEP) individuals and their service providers.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform administrative duties for the APA immigration program, including receiving and screening phone calls, text messages and emails, communicating with clients about their appointments and cases, responding to client inquiries, and utilizing and maintaining program databases
- Provide accurate, impartial, and confidential interpretation to clients, Immigration staff and other relevant service providers, including at USCIS and other legal service appointments. Services may be rendered in-person, via telephone, videoconference, or other virtual means.
- Safely collect and store documentation from clients needed for preparing client applications.
- Record, track and ensure all client work is appropriately documented in required databases.
- Maintain strict client confidentiality and observe all other ethical practices/obligations as outlined in IRC’s Immigration Program Policies Manual.
- Work in close cooperation with immigration program staff and other IRC staff including resettlement team members
Demonstrated Skills & Competencies:
- Demonstrated ability to promote an organizational culture that reflects IRC’s core values of service, accountability, integrity, and equality. Ability to lead in a way that recognizes that IRC’s work is best accomplished through the true collaboration of individuals from many cultures with a great variety of skills and perspectives.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills combined with the proven ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in work product.
- Fluent in Dari, both spoken and written; additional fluency in Pashto is desired;
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook); ability to use the internet and other digital tools for data entry, research, and problem-solving purposes.
- A combination of standard office environment, remote work, and ‘field’ time within the service delivery area to perform the above outlined responsibilities.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for any in-office or hybrid positions. All IRC US offices require full vaccination to attend any in-office functions (e.g., meetings, trainings).
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
US Benefits: We offer a comprehensive and highly competitive set of benefits. In the US, these include 10 sick days, 10 US holidays, 20-25 paid time off days depending on role and tenure, medical insurance starting at $120 per month, dental starting at $7 per month, and vision starting at $5 per month, FSA for healthcare and commuter costs, a 403b retirement savings plan with immediately vested matching, disability & life insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program which is available to our staff and their families to support counseling and care in times of crisis and mental health struggles.#LI-Onsite