Programme Assistant and support to the Subregional Office for the Sothern Cone of Latin America
- Organization: UN - United Nations
- Location: Panamá
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: Closed
Result of Service
The consultant will support the UNEP Sub-Regional Office for the Southern Cone of Latin
America in the day-to-day operation of the office and its administration. Main activities will
include operational tasks such as the coordination of schedule and institutional contacts with
other actors, and other duties, such as the administrative support to the operations of UNEP
activities in the subregion and in the United Nations Country Teams.
The consultant will perform the following activities, without prejudice to other activities that
may arise for the satisfactory execution of the consultancy:
- Perform administrative tasks and provide executive assistance for the efficient operation of
- Give secretarial support to the Subregional Head.
- Monitor and control of ongoing environmental projects in the region.
- Serves as focal point for administrative coordination of programme/project implementation
activities, involving extensive liaison with several organizational units to initiate requests,
obtain necessary clearances, process and follow-up on administrative actions, e.g., recruitment
and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training /study tours, authorization of
payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services.
- Review and write documents and concept notes in English and Spanish.
- Carry out a review of scientific literature when needed.
- Be constantly aware of advances in the environmental sector.
- Collaborate and follow up on the organization of regional, subregional and national
seminars, events and workshops.
- Support and collaborate with the implementation of UNEP´s activities in the subregion.
- Participate in interdisciplinary work groups.
- Perform any other activities related to the position.
UNEP Sub-Regional Office for the Southern Cone of Latin America, Montevideo, Uruguay
12 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The UN Environment Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (LACO), located in Panama City, works closely with the 33 countries of the region and its activities are integrated into the Medium-Term Strategy and the Programme of Work approved by the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA).
UNEP´s Sub-Regional Office for the Southern Cone of Latin America (SCO), located in Montevideo, Uruguay, provides support to and coordinates efforts with the Governments of Argentina, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay. Within its programmatic growth, the Sub-regional Office has increased its commitment to governments and other interested parties, to deepen its analysis of the environmental challenges and opportunities that the sub-region is currently facing.
In this context, the focus is on the implementation of UNEP´s Medium-Term Strategy (2022-2025) that addresses the triple planetary crisis of climate change, loss of nature and pollution. The Sub-Regional Office is well positioned to inform UNEP's corporate policies and plans, through the experiences and lessons learned from working in the countries of the Southern Cone.
To achieve its purposes and respond to the growing demands of governments and other key stakeholders, the Sub-regional Office requires a programme assistant to support the integral operation of the office.
The Programme Assistant will work under the supervision of the Head of the Sub-regional Office for the Southern Cone of Latin America. The job requires a full-time dedication of 40 hours a week, from Monday to Friday.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, environmental sciences, international relations, or related field is required.
- At least 3 years of demonstrated general work experience performing administrative tasks in sustainable development or environmental related entities or projects is required
- Work experience in the public sector and/or in the UN system entities or similar international organizations is an asset
- Work experience in data collection, analysis and management is desirable
- Work experience in project management is desirable
- Experience drafting and reviewing documents is an asset
- Fluent in English is required
- Fluent in Spanish is required
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Capacity for technical administration and project management.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Tailored language, tone, style and format to match the audience.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Integrity and ethics according to United Nations standard values.
- Abilities to understand and integrate positions from various disciplines, flexibility to change.
- Effective negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Cultural sensitivity, appreciation of diversity and willingness to promote gender equity
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: