Re-Advertisement, Internal/External Vacancy Announcement: Senior ICT Associate, GS7 #00122857, Fixed Term- Juba South Sudan ( Open to South Sudanese ONLY)
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Juba
- Grade: Administrative support - GS-7, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
- Administrative support
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2023-03-22
Senior Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Associates perform specialized activities pertaining to UNICEF’s ICT systems including desktop administration, server operations, hardware, and software. Specialized activities may include technical support in the testing and implementation of new application system releases, modules and functionalities and systems administration tasks.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Our Future
Organizational Context and Purpose for the job
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Job Organizational Context & Purpose of Job:
Senior Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Associates perform specialized activities pertaining to UNICEF’s ICT systems including desktop administration, server operations, hardware, and software. Specialized activities may include technical support in the testing and implementation of new application system releases, modules and functionalities and systems administration tasks. This is skilled work, which may include the provision of procedural leadership to more junior staff or serve as a focal point for a systems project.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
ICT Office Customer Service Support:
• The Senior ICT Associate is fundamentally involved in enlisting the support and cooperation of client staff from across the office in the installation and maintenance/troubleshooting of ICT applications.
• S/He liaises and interacts with colleagues, users and user groups in establishing application requirements, proposing them to concerned development entity, and providing training in new systems and applications.
• The Senior ICT Associate may coordinate with external service providers, such as telephony providers, and consultants, ensuring delivery of agreed services and prompt resolution of service issues.
Senior ICT Associates perform specialized IT application administration activities to ensure functionality and facilitate user interface. Accountabilities/key results include:
• Analyzing functional issues, developing functional specifications and identifying the need for new systems or re-engineering/enhancements of the existing systems or applications.
• Supporting the development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new applications and systems and customizing existing applications.
• Identifying system vulnerabilities and relevant security patches; prioritizing, evaluating, testing and applying third party patches.
• Providing second-level support to users on systems applications including assistance on technical issues, setting up user access security profiles, and other related user issues.
• Drafting technical documentation and manuals.
• Assessing training needs, developing and presenting structured and ad hoc training to users as required.
• Assisting in the management of specialized ICT projects, particularly in the area of development and implementation of new systems and applications.
• Preparing periodic and ad hoc reports.
Impact of Results
Senior ICT Associates perform highly skilled ICT activities. They demonstrate initiative in the identification and resolution of issues/problems and provide substantive technical assistance to senior ICT staff in addressing systemic problems. The impact thus affects not only the design and functionality of fundamental ICT systems, but also the operational effectiveness of staff throughout UNICEF. Indirectly, their work impacts on delivery of office-wide programmes. The Senior Associates are accountable for resolving problems escalated by ICT Assistants.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust and Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
• Advanced knowledge of the organizations ICT regulations, rules and procedures as well as systems and applications.
• In-depth knowledge of computer information systems, including micro-computer operating systems software (e.g. Windows, Linux, other apps), hardware and applications software and other office technology equipment.
• Ability to develop and provide training.
• Ability to correctly and promptly identify problems, develop solutions and resolve issues.
• Takes responsibility to respond to service needs promptly and proactively.
• Demonstrates a high degree of integrity, reliability and honors matters of confidentiality.
• Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
• Demonstrates courtesy, tact, patience and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Completion of Secondary education is required, supplemented with formal training at university level in Computer Science, Information Systems, Telecommunications, Engineering.
ITIL Foundation Certificate or equivalent customer support certification is an asset.
A minimum of seven years of practical work experience in information technology, requiring systematic methods of troubleshooting and problem solving is required.
Experience in providing assistance to users on IT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools is required.
Practical experience in providing technical and business Customer Support and Services is required.
Practical experience and working knowledge of various computer platforms and applications is required.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
(1) Builds and maintains partnerships(2) Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness(3)Drive to achieve results for impact(4)Innovates and embraces change(5) Manages ambiguity and complexity(6)Thinks and acts strategically(7)Works collaboratively with others.
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is here to serve the world’s most disadvantaged children and our global workforce must reflect the diversity of those children. The UNICEF family is committed to include everyone, irrespective of their race/ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, socio-economic background, or any other personal characteristic.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF’s active commitment towards diversity and inclusion is critical to deliver the best results for children. For this position, eligible and suitable FEMALE CANDIDATES are encouraged to apply.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments are also subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.