Technical Associate (Research and Development) for AIS
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Jakarta
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: Closed
Archipelagic and Island States Forum was initiated in 2018 as a response to SDG 14: the conservation and sustainable use of oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development. It is the agreed position of participating countries that the AIS Forum (“the Forum”) can be influential in mitigating climate change and the pursuit of social and economic sustainability. The Forum will create a space for financing innovative solutions and technologies, as well as engendering collaboration between stakeholders.
The Forum is designed to include all island states and archipelagic countries regardless of their location, size, and level of development. According to the OECD, co-operation between developed and developing countries will create a synergy as they often possess different types of expertise/knowledge, data, and other resources that are valuable for discovering the solutions and for dealing with multiple challenges. There are regional initiatives that allow island states to connect with and aid one another. However, a global initiative that brings together all archipelagic and island states is yet to exist.
The AIS Forum created a unique grouping of nations to address the challenges of sustainable ocean resource use, climate change resilience, ocean pollution, emergency management and sustainable fisheries. Through the AIS Forum Secretariat that resides under the UNDP Indonesia Country Office, it implements programs around Research and Development, Entrepreneurship Support and International Collaboration, all of which are intended to accelerate structural transformation for sustainable development and strengthen resilience to shocks and crises. Furthermore, the programs seek to promote economic diversification and green growth through low emission and climate resilient measures and to discover innovative nature-based and gender-responsive solutions for sustainable recovery. The AIS Forum Secretariat will act as a platform to meet the following outcomes:
- Strengthen the commitment of archipelagic and island states to be part of a collaborative action to address the common challenges in the areas of climate change mitigation and adaptation, sustainable blue economy, marine plastic debris, and good maritime governance.
- Identify and work towards actionable, concrete collaboration and partnerships with all relevant stakeholders, including academics, private sector, government authorities, and international.
- Encourage the development of an integrated approach to maritime and ocean governance.
- Establish as an open-ended, complementary, integrated, and inclusive developmental forum to create a synergy with other initiatives.
The Technical Associate will work under the overall supervision of the Project Coordinator for AIS. The incumbent is expected to work closely with the Archipelagic and Island States project team and work closely with the other team members in UNDP.
Planning and coordination:
- Plan, Implement, and coordinate the Research and Development initiatives, university network, and other related programs.
- Establish partnerships with academic communities, universities, and youth groups on the relevant program under the research and development initiatives.
- Conduct efficient coordination of efforts and knowledge exchange in the relevant research and development initiatives.
- Ensure enhancement of the research and development program that will benefit the beneficiaries in AIS countries.
- Assist the project in sourcing, negotiating, and managing the firm’s collaboration with academician, expert and potential stakeholders.
- Arrange the appropriate knowledge dissemination to beneficiaries in AIS countries.
- Collect the best international practices framework and research in the issues of climate change mitigation and adaptation, blue economy, marine plastic debris and good maritime governance.
- Provide coordination, implementation, knowledge exchange and advisory support in the implementation of a regional project.
- Create, update and maintain a database of expert organizations (universities, thinktank, academic communities) for efficient networking in AIS-relevant areas.
- Collect and contextualize capacity-building and knowledge exchanges between stakeholders in AIS countries.
- Organize a workshop/capacity building to showcase those existing initiatives to foster AIS Research and Development.
- Creating and bridging knowledge that contributes to the achievement of the AIS Forum/national priorities through primary or secondary data collection.
- Manage the collection of knowledge for policy briefs, analytics and results assessments for past, ongoing and planned research on AIS matters.
- Provide the coordination and consolidation activities for the research development in the area of marine and environment related issue.
- Create new database platform on research information and database systems in publications, data, research materials, and other relevant information on the assigned area.
- Ensure timely and quality implementation and delivery of research publications and other products based on a specific research task.
- Develop the conceptual framework and strategy including analysis of the development of AIS Research Hub.
The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that.
- Human rights and gender equality are prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions.
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”.
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender is respected within all implementations including data production.
- Differentiated needs of women and men are considered.
- Inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created.
- Necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
Business Direction & Strategy
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to develop effective strategies and prioritized plans in line with UNDP’s objectives, based on the systemic analysis of challenges, potential risks, and opportunities; linking the vision to reality on the ground, and creating tangible solutions; Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
- Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
- Results-based Management: Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Project Management: Ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and control resources, procedures, and protocols to achieve specific goals.
- Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts, and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies.
- Monitoring: Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results.
- Bachelor’s degree in development studies, political science, sociology, or related fields, with additional years of experiences, or high school with additional 3 years of relevant experiences will be given due consideration in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- Four years (for bachelor’s degree) or 7 years with High School of professional experiences in project management, environment project, research and development initiatives.
- Experience in knowledge management, conducting research program, and experience in handing multiple research activities would be an asset.
- Prior experience working with academic communities, universities and thinktank for research initiatives.
- Familiarity with procedure of the UN and various donor agencies would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and deal effectively with partners including government, academia, civil society, private sector, UN and other development donors to address relevant issue and to ensure the greater impact of the projects/ programmes;
- Experience working and coordinating multi-stakeholder development initiatives, government counterparts, UN and donor agencies would be an asset.
- Very good spoken and written Indonesian and English
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: