Human Resources Analyst
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Apia
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Human Resources
- Closing Date: 2023-03-31
Under the overall guidance of the Operations Manager, the HR Analyst ensures effective delivery of HR services in a Multi Country Office. S/he interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations, implements internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale.
The HR Analyst works in close collaboration with the Business Development, Programme, Operations and project teams in the CO and UNDP HQ staff ensuring successful CO performance in HR management.
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of HR strategies and policies;
- Effective HR management;
- Staff performance management and career development;
- Conduct of UN-related surveys;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Provides support to the implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control, analysis of parameters in support of proper design and functioning of the HR management system;
- CO HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management;
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals on the strategic approach to recruitment in the CO, proper use of contractual modalities, forecast of the staffing needs, performance evaluation and staff career development management.
Provides support to effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management and coordination of recruitment processes including job descriptions, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, organization and participation in the interview panels;
- Management of contracts in and outside Atlas. Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas;
- Management of International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to the HR Unit;
- Development and management of rosters;
- Provision of cost-recovery for HR services provided by UNDP to other Agencies and projects.
- In consultation with his/her supervisor, ensures that all security-related matters are in order including ensuring that the warden system is up to date and functioning.
Provides support to proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of requirements and elaboration of the protocol for performance appraisal process, facilitation of the process;
- Support to effective learning management including establishment of the Whole Office Learning plan and individual learning plans in collaboration with the Senior Management;
- Elaboration of proposals on and implementation of strategic staffing policies in line with career development.
Ensures conduct of UN and UNDP-related surveys focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of comprehensive and interim local salary, hardship and place-to-place surveys in coordination with the supervisor.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and conduct of training for operations/ programme staff on HR issues;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in HR;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- As PSEA focal point, conducts learning sessions for staff on a regular basis
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: TBC
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making.
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business & Direction Strategy - Strategic Thinking
- Ability to leverage learning from a variety of sources to anticipate and respond to future trends; to demonstrate foresight in order to model what future developments and possible ways forward look like for UNDP.
Business & Direction Strategy - System Thinking
- Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system.
Business & Direction Strategy - Effective Decision Making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
Business Development - Knowledge Generation
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
Business Development - Knowledge Facilitation
- Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share particularly externally.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in HR, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field, OR;
- Bachelor’s degree in above areas with 2 additional years of qualifying HR experience may be considered in lieu of the Masters.
- Relevant experience at the national or international level in providing HR advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web- based management systems.
- Proficiency in oral and written English and Samoan.