Program Manager, Transformative Climate Finance Program of the Africa Union
- Organization: GGGI - Global Green Growth Institute
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: Mid/Senior level - X10
- Banking and Finance
- Meteorology, Geology and Geography
- Labour Market Policy
- Climate Change
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2023-04-04
Program Manager, Transformative Climate Finance Program of the Africa Union
GGGI is seeking a senior-level Program Manager to lead and direct the overall management of the Transformative Climate Finance Program of the African Union - Green Recovery Action Plan.
The Program Manager will support in establishing and maintaining the program through ensuring synergy and alignment of program activities and oversee effective and efficient planning, delivery and reporting of program outputs. S/he will be responsible for operational aspects of the program including effective management of internal and external resources, consultants, and partners, and for providing oversight to financial and administrative processes, ensuring compliance with donor agreement and GGGI regulations. S/he will also need to communicate and coordinate the cross-pollination of ideas and knowledge between the GRAP Program and other programs being implemented by the African Union and ensuring consistency in high quality delivery.
The Program Manager will report to the Africa Regional Director.
The Program Manager will be responsible for overseeing several thematic areas of work within the program, Agriculture, Forestry, renewable energy, green infrastructure and cross-cutting aspects such as social inclusion, communications and capacity building. S/he will monitor and evaluate the performance of team members as well as being a key point of technical advice and escalation for problem solving within the context of output delivery.
The Program Manager will take a major role in developing the planning, overseeing development of work plans and budgets, and reviewing and monitoring of the country strategy. S/he will support cross learning and fertilization of knowledge across the country program. S/he will also contribute to the identification of resource mobilization opportunities and support the development of in-country resource mobilization strategies and their execution.
Within the role, it is also expected of this position to lead and take action of the following:
- Establish the Climate Finance Unit at Africa Union Headquarters
- Enhance the capacity of the AU to operationalize the GRAP in its five priority areas and to effectively mainstream gender equality
- Enhance the alignment of Regional Economic Communities with the AU-GRAP priorities
- Strengthen the capacities of Members States and increase the understanding of capacity gaps of AU Members States to align the AU-GRAP with national priority areas and effectively mainstream gender equality
- Enhance the capacity of Member States and African entities to originate, develop and implement gender responsive climate investments as well as to access and mobilize inclusive climate finance
- Assess effectiveness of program delivery and recommend improvements to meet long-term outcomes;
- Coordinate preparation of annual workplan and budgets and assist in budget reviews.
- Keeps abreast on technical knowledge and expertise in the diverse range of themes of the Ethiopia program
- Lead program reporting, monitoring and evaluation of the program both donor and internal reporting.
- Support the program level risk management and lead risk management in projects under the ARD oversight.
- Promote Knowledge and awareness raising through African Union Green Finance Investor Roundtables
- Develop and foster strong relationships with donors, development partners, key government institutions, relevant academic institutions, non-governmental organizations and/or private sector as key stakeholders
- Facilitate effective stakeholder dialogues both internally and externally to support teams on issues relevant to the components/work streams of the program.
- Maintain close communication with technical divisions in HQ on relevant topics to ensure their participation in program delivery for quality outputs.
- Develop of an inclusive National Climate Finance Strategy for African Union Member States
- Oversee conducted targeted training through the “African Union Climate Finance” program
- Oversee the implementation plan and delivery plan of the GRAP
- Oversee the Gender responsive governance framework and develop the Gender-responsive roadmap for the implementation of the AU-GRAP
- Lead the Gender responsive capacity needs assessment to identify capacity needs to implement AU-GRAP priority areas and effectively mainstream gender equality
- Oversee annual Work Program and Budget , program-related outsourcing and procurements and ensure quality assurance
- Independently organize component(s)/work stream(s) delivery with tight deadlines and manage a team, consisting of staff members and consultants.
- Lead the learning and capacity development for the team and government partners.
- Oversee reporting on program delivery to the Regional office and GGGI HQ
- Master or doctoral degree in international development, project Management and/or related subjects in green growth, with 8 -13 years of experience in managing programs in relevant sector.
- At least 5 years of international experience is required
- Experience leading teams managing complex project portfolios and quality assurance.. Experience holding leadership positions in the past is desirable;
- Experience working with government stakeholders in national and/or regional policy development and implementation in climate change activities is desirable
- Well-established networks among key individuals and organizations related to carbon pricing, capacity building, and mitigation project origination.
- Experience in working in a development country will be an important advantage;
- Strong oral and written English is essential.
- Result-based management approach with a strong focus on quality, transformation and delivering impact at scale.
- Strategic thinking with a proven track record in successful program monitoring and delivery;
- Outstanding interpersonal, stakeholder engagement and consensus-building skills, ability to foster strong relationships with key government agencies, and understand their needs;
- Flexible, responsive, and able to manage multiple activities in multidisciplinary teams, while meeting tight deadlines;
- Possess multi-cultural literacy and be easily adaptable;
- Leadership qualities including active listening, coaching and mentoring, decision-making and leading teams to success.
- Ability to initiate, review, synthesize information, and produce high-quality written reports (in English).
- Independent, with the ability to establish priorities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with strong attention to detail.
- Convincing written and oral communication and presentation skills in English, to prepare material for the governments both in written format and in person.
- Solid skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams)
- Calm, diplomatic, positive, and able to effectively work under pressure in a challenging context with a diverse and dispersed set of stakeholders.
- Understand and actively supports GGGI's mission, vision, and values.
- Promote the optimum use of public resources
- Promote an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect, and partnership.
- Process and share information easily.
- Manage emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily.
- Promote creativity and innovation among staff.
- Be able to lead where needed and provide solutions to project-level challenge.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.