Senior Project Officer (Education)
- Organization: UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Paris
- Grade: Mid level - P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Education, Learning and Training
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-04-01
Post Number : ED/PA 211
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 01-APR-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of Contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performanceOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Within the Division of Policies and Lifelong Learning Systems (ED/PLS), the Section of Education Policy (EDP) contributes towards strengthening resilience, quality, and equity of Member States’ education systems to flexibly respond to evolving learning needs. To this end, EDP’s work focuses on programme areas aiming to contribute to resilience building and system strengthening in national education systems.
Among its portfolio of activities, EDP coordinates and provides technical backstopping to the implementation of national, regional and global projects such as:
(1) AFD-funded project on “Production and dissemination of educational resources for primary and secondary schools and pupils in the 15 Francophone Sub-Saharan (SSA) countries”, aiming to equip the school age population with better basic skills by improving equitable access to a set of quality, relevant and cost-effective educational resources. A dedicated sub-component of the project focuses on diagnosis and strengthening of national EMIS in relation to production and use of data on educational resources.
(2) Azerbaijan-funded project for “operationalizing and scaling-up of the Global Education Coalition missions”, contributing to the achievements, scale-up and sustainability of the Global Education Coalition’s three related missions, such as the Global Skills Academy, the Global Teacher Campus and the Global Learning House, with the latter consisting of providing supplemental educational opportunities with priority given to girls and disadvantaged groups.
(3) An increasing number of country activities to support the projects implemented by field offices and specialized institutes aiming at strengthening educational administration through enhancement of national education data and management information systems.
Within this context, EDP is seeking for a senior project officer who will contribute to the implementation and delivery of the abovementioned projects, as well as to the design and delivery of programme activities related to sector management, data and monitoring and evaluation systems, including EMIS
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the guidance of the Director of the Division and the direct supervision of the Chief of Section, the Senior Project Officer will be responsible for providing technical support in the implementation of the section’s programmatic activities and initiatives, with a particular focus on the aforementioned projects, as well as those contributing to the sector management, data, monitoring and evaluation systems programme implemented by the Section, including in emergency contexts.
In particular, the incumbent will perform the following essential duties:
1. Programme and project implementation
a. Contribute to the management and implementation of the AFD and Azerbaijan extrabudgetary projects through:
- Conduct of thematic and situational analyses, including analysis and evaluation of project implementation and delivery.
- Contribution to the preparation of work plans and/or proposals setting out plans for project implementation, preparation of inputs and/or reports on projects for various purposes, for example for briefing, regular programme reporting, etc.
- Provide substantive, technical and analytical support to projects, consultations, meetings, events and missions, in particular on activities related to data systems in education including EMIS.
- Provide support to Section’s projects contributing to the Global Education Coalition and notably Global Learning House programme though provision of management, advisory, technical assistance and capacity development services.
b. Coordinate and implement EDP programme on sector management, governance, data management, M&E and EMIS through:
- Design and implementation of UNESCO programme and projects on data systems for sector management and accountability, in line with the UNESCO strategy on education system strengthening
- Provision of management, advisory, technical assistance, methodological support and capacity development services for deployment and improvement of data systems/education management information systems.
- Act as EDP focal point on education data systems, EMIS, management and M&E for the CapED programme.
2. Knowledge Management and Capacity Development
a. Develop and implement new knowledge, tools, expertise and guidance on Education Management Information Systems (EMIS) and Learning Management Systems (LMS), including through development of assessment tools, quality assurance standards and processes.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
Building partnerships (M)
Driving and managing change (M)
Leading and empowering others (M)
Making quality decisions (M)
Managing performance (M)
Strategic thinking (M)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
b. Support internal knowledge platform for policies, expertise, publications, studies, documents, projects, and proposals pertaining to education sector management, governance, and M&E.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the field of education, demographics, public policy, and/or other relevant fields.
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience in education policy and data systems, of which preferably five years acquired at the international level.
- Experience in project/programme coordination and management at international and/or regional levels.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate staff and teams and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to build, maintain and enhance working relations with national/local authorities, cultural institutions and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Ability to participate effectively in high-level negotiations with internal and external partners.
- Excellent knowledge and technical expertise in education management information systems, monitoring and evaluation issues and education policy reforms.
- Excellent analytical and research skills.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to coordinate complex projects.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong IT skills, including knowledge of information systems technical architectures and data systems for education.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French (oral and written) and good knowledge of the other language
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 101,276 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.