Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Advisor
- Organization: Jhpiego
- Location: Lomé
- Grade: Senior level - Senior
- Education, Learning and Training
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date:
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Advisor
- Job ID
- International Positions
- Employment Status
Jhpiego seeks a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Advisor to provide technical leadership, oversight and strategic direction for monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) activities for an upcoming USAID-funded family planning (FP) and reproductive health (RH) project in multiple countries in West Africa. The $40 million project aims to increase access to and uptake of FP, and will operate over a 5-year period.
The Advisor will provide technical leadership to develop project framework, M&E systems and indicators to capture performance results and provide effective, accurate and timely monitoring, evaluation and reporting of all project activities. The MEL Advisor will supervise and manage the MEL team across multiple countries and oversee the collection, management, analysis and use of project data, ensuring that lessons learned are integrated into project implementation to continuously improve quality of interventions and outcomes. The MEL Advisor is responsible for using diverse CLA approaches and documenting and disseminating learning portfolios for complex activities across multiple countries. The MEL Advisor will also be responsible for designing and conducting assessments, operations research and evaluations to address project needs. The MEL Advisor will be skilled at communicating results to technical and non-technical audiences and through varying channels, and will liaise with and support consortium partners, USAID missions, Ministries of Health, and other stakeholders to implement MEL activities.
This position is contingent upon award from USAID. Togolese nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide leadership and direction on M&E to ensure the project achieves its goals and corresponding objectives and targets
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) to efficiently track, use and disseminate performance indicators and results over the life of the project, including routine service delivery data reporting, baseline and end line assessments, and all monitoring for process and outcome evaluations
- Supervise a team of MEL professionals across multiple countries, ensuring high-quality implementation of all MEL activities, and providing field-based TA where necessary
- Develop and oversee implementation of robust context-appropriate systems for data collection, quality assurance, analysis and reporting on activity outputs/outcomes and program quality
- Lead results reporting to USAID, USAID missions, Ministries of Health, implementing partners, social media, and online platforms by overseeing the production of written documentation and other communication materials on MEL activities and indicator results
- Ensure alignment of project systems and approaches with national and regional monitoring and evaluation guidelines, protocols, information and reporting systems
- Cultivate strategic MEL relationships and alliances with counterparts in other USAID projects, regional and national institutions, and key stakeholders, leading initiatives to learn from project data and adapt intervention strategies as appropriate
- Provide expertise to the project and other stakeholders on how to use data to contribute towards strategic decision-making and project planning with project leadership
- Support project leadership to champion holistic approaches to collaboration, learning and adapting (CLA), including design and implementation of an action-oriented project research and learning agenda, routine analysis of available health sector data sources, and application of best practices in knowledge management
- Oversee and/or conduct targeted assessment, evaluations and operations research, ensuring compliance with Ministries of Health and Johns Hopkins University institutional review board policies
- Ensure quality of data through data verification procedures including routine data quality audits and that these are routinely carried out during the project lifecycle
- Represent MEL activities in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Ensure project compliance with USAID monitoring, evaluation, research and open data policies
- Work with project and financial staff to prepare and track progress of project and activity budgets
- Train and mentor project staff and implementing partners in monitoring and evaluation methods, tools, and systems
- Ensure protection of participant data and confidentiality during all monitoring, evaluation and research implementation and dissemination processes
- Support the designated Internal Review Board (IRB) focal point in-country including maintaining current certification from 1) CITI human subjects ethics course and 2) CITI Good Clinical Practices (GCP) course
- Masters degree in public health, demography, statistics, social sciences or related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of eight years of work experience in monitoring and evaluating complex, multi-year international health sector development projects (approximately $5 -10M per year)
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis methodologies, implementation research approaches, health management information systems, data visualization and reporting
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public, NGO and private sectors
- MEL experience in FP/RH, gender equity and women’s empowerment, and youth
- Familiarity with West African health management information systems and other regional and national M&E systems
- Experience and understanding of the USAID FP/RH framework and reporting system
- Strong technical skills, including ability to process and analyze data using DHIS2 and one or more statistical software packages, including at least two of the following: SPSS, Epi-Info, Stata, MS Excel
- Experience hiring and supervising personnel and ensuring they acquire the necessary training and skills to meet evolving project needs
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID missions, Ministries of Health, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership, strategic thinking, organizational, team-building, and representational skills
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in French and strong English oral and written communication skills required
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity in regional and national projects and technical staff
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, builds global and local partnerships to enhance the quality ––of healthcare services for women and families around the world. Jhpiego is a global leader in the creation of innovative and effective approaches to developing human resources for health.
At Jhpiego we value our customers who have our respect, responsiveness, and commitment to excellence; our staff and global network of colleagues who bring cultural diversity, innovation, and a wealth of world experience; and our work culture, which is reflected in our team spirit, transparent communication, mutual respect, flexibility, and dedication.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at www.jobs-jhpiego.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume and references.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer