UNAIDS Safety and Security Adviser, Geneva
- Organization: UNAIDS - The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Mid level - P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: Closed
|UNAIDS is an innovative United Nations partnership that leads and inspires the world in achieving universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support.
UNAIDS' Cosponsors include UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP, UNDP, UNFPA, UNODC, UN Women, ILO, UNESCO, WHO and the World Bank. Visit the UNAIDS Web site at
Vacancy No.: UNAIDS/23/FT35
Title: UNAIDS Safety and Security Adviser, Geneva
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: 2 years
20 March 2023
Application Deadline: 20 April 2023
(30 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Organization unit: AI UNAIDS Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (AI)
People Management Department (PMD) / Department of Management (MGT)
Duty station: Geneva Switzerland
Serving Communities and Countries to End Inequalities and AIDS.
We, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, lead the global effort to end AIDS as a public health threat by 2030. By placing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) related to reduction of inequalities at the heart of our work, we lead the global response to AIDS by: (i) maximizing equitable and equal access to HIV services, (ii) breaking down barriers to achieving HIV outcomes, and (iii) integrating efficient HIV responses into wider health and protection systems.
We are committed to creating an equal, safe and empowering workplace culture where all people in all their diversity thrive. We live our values of Commitment to the AIDS Response, Integrity and Respect for Diversity. You can access the full UNAIDS Competency Framework at www.unaids.org
MANDATE OF THE DEPARTMENT:
To deliver the UNAIDS mandate and provide leadership in the global AIDS response, the UNAIDS Secretariat counts on a capable and highly qualified workforce that is multi-skilled, diverse, mobile and able to work across disciplines. Within the Management Department, the Department of People Management (DPM) ensures that human resources are aligned with the organizational strategy and priorities. The work of the Department is based on effective policies and services for recruitment, workforce staffing, organizational development, performance, staff support, security and Geneva Global Center building management.
Main tasks and Responsibilities of the Position:
Under the supervision of and in accordance with priorities and workplans established with Director DPM, the incumbent has overall responsibility for:
1. Holds overall responsibility for operationalizing UNAIDS duty of care obligations towards members of staff and affiliate personnel, and the coordination of safety and security measures, providing equitable support to all categories of workers. Case manage the administrative response to critical security incidents involving UNAIDS members of staff and affiliate personnel in a timely, efficient and compassionate manner.
2. Provide authoritative guidance to the Executive Cabinet and senior managers on security issues and crisis preparedness, including relevant risk analyses on the security situation pertaining to countries and regions. Ensure UNAIDS Country Directors participate in the Security Management Team (SMT) and comply fully with UN security policies and procedures as applicable.
3. Undertake field missions to advise UNAIDS offices in duty of care and security matters, as well as in response to emergency situations, in close collaboration with other UN bodies and UNDSS. Make crucial assessments for decision-making at the highest level.
4. Develop and implement (or facilitate implementation of) effective security policies and procedures to improve the security and safety standards of UNAIDS field staff, as well as develop and oversee occupational health and safety strategies, and monitor and report on compliance.
5. Coordinate UNAIDS offices in the implementation of security requirements, overseeing and technically approving security expenditures in regional, country, and liaison offices, and at the Global Center.
6. Represent UNAIDS and serve as a member of the Inter Agency Security Management Network (IASMN), UN Occupational Health and Safety Committees and other senior-level forums. Strengthen partnerships and work in close collaboration with United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) and other members of the IASMN, as well as support the Under-Secretary-General for Safety and Security in the discharge of his/her responsibilities.
7. Review existing policies to ensure that the organization's duty of care is embedded within and across the organization and conceptualize, develop and implement occupational health and safety (OHS) and security measures, training packages and briefings to optimise the wellbeing of all UNAIDS staff and their recognized dependants .
8. Conduct risk assessments and provide recommendations to minimise OHS problems, accidents and injuries, and produce reports on the UNAIDS global OHS situation.
Advanced university degree at the Master's level in public or business administration, social or political sciences, law, psychology, or police or military studies. For internal candidates, a first-level degree complemented by two additional years of relevant work experience.
1. Commitment to the AIDS response
3. Respect for diversity
1. Working in teams
2. Communicating with impact
3. Applying expertise
4. Delivering results
5. Driving change and innovation
6. Being accountable
1. Vision and strategic thinking
2. Leading teams
3. Managing performance and resources
4. Developing and empowering others
5. Exercising sound judgment
6. Building relationships and networks
At least seven years relevant professional experience in OHS and security management in an international context.
Military or police service in an international development context.
Excellent knowledge of English and French.
Desirable: Knowledge of another UN official language.
Positions at the international professional category within UNAIDS will be subject to the Organization's Mobility Policy. The above-mentioned position may be a rotational position and its standard duration of assignment is linked to the ICSC hardship classification of the duty station.
In addition to the salary, the post adjustment for Geneva applies.
Other similar positions at the same level may be filled from this vacancy notice.
(Net of tax)
77326 USD at single rate
|Post Adjustment: 79.4 % of the figure(s) on the left side. This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.|
|Applicants will be required to take a test. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for an interview.|
|Applications from people living with HIV are particularly welcome. Applications from women and from nationals of non- and under-represented member states are particularly encouraged.|
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to the Staff Regulations and Rules of the World Health Organization (WHO) adjusted, as necessary, to take into account the particular operational needs of UNAIDS, and any subsequent amendments.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
|Note: The paramount consideration in the appointment, transfer or promotion of staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity. The medical criterion for recruitment is fitness to work in the particular post. The United Nations HIV/AIDS Personnel Policy clearly stipulates that no staff and/or potential candidates shall be discriminated against on the basis of real or perceived HIV status. HIV infection, in itself, does not constitute lack of fitness to work. There is no obligation to disclose HIV-related personal information.|
|Online applications are strongly encouraged to enable UNAIDS to store your profile in a permanent database. Please visit UNAIDS's e-Recruitment website at: . The system provides instructions for online application procedures.|
|All applicants are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.|
|Currently accepting applications|
UNAIDS has a smoke-free environment
This vacancy is now closed.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you:
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: