Africa Freshwater Protection Specialist
- Organization: TNC - The Nature Conservancy
- Location: Africa
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Water Resource Management
- Closing Date: Closed
London, United Kingdom
The location for this position is flexible within countries where The Nature Conservancy has an established office preference for a location that has no more than a 5-hour difference to GMT (UTC 0). This position is not eligible for relocation or immigration assistance.
WHO WE ARE
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life #insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our to hear stories from staff or visit .
Nature4Climate (N4C) is a coalition of 20 organizations across the environmental sector, all dedicated to helping raise the profile of nature as a solution for a more sustainable, equitable and nature-positive future.
We do this by catalyzing partnerships between governments, civil society, businesses and investors. Our work includes advocating for and demonstrating the breadth and untapped potential of better management of land activities; highlighting success stories of meaningful nature and climate action around the world; facilitating dialogue around nature-based solutions; sharing scientific knowledge; providing unbranded communications resources and creative treatments of the subject, and more.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply – we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, “you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.”
WHAT WE CAN ACHIEVE TOGETHER
The Communications Coordinator will implement tactics in communication and media strategies by providing general administrative and programmatic support to N4C team. They will be responsible for developing, maintaining, and distributing relevant communication and media materials. Maintaining media contacts, writing news releases, and responding to media requests and inquiries, as well as tracking results of program initiatives and reports findings to program managers. They help facilitate and coordinate on-going communication between all parts of the globally dispersed marketing division, internal and external stakeholders.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
- Coordination of projects and deliveries alongside partner agencies.
- Development and execution of N4C communication activities under the Bezos Earth Fund grant, particularly relating to natural climate solutions science.
- Development and execution of communication and advocacy plans to engage a broad range of stakeholders according to annual planning.
- Development and execution of event-led communications campaigns.
- Collaboration with internal and external partners to ensure alignment across many different organizations and communications workstreams.
- Writes and produces a variety of content, including social media, blogs, talking points, case studies, presentations.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR YOU
Are you looking for a career to help people and nature? Guided by science, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that people and nature can thrive together.
Working closely with the Nature4Climate (N4C) Secretariat and wider Coalition, the N4C Communications Coordinator develops, manages, and implements communication strategies for the N4C initiative. The Communications Manager will be responsible for the wider communications workstream, generating content and outreach strategies, including its storytelling strategies to promote nature-based solutions across and beyond the climate community, as well as supporting the global #NaturePositive campaign. We are looking for a passionate communicator who understands the climate and nature nexus and the related science, and has experience working with dynamic audience groups, including scientists, policymakers, C-level executives, and media across the globe.
We’re looking for someone who is a problem-solver at heart, with excellent writing skills, and is an organized, high-energy, creative storyteller well-versed in social/digital media. Come join TNC and apply today!
WHAT YOU'LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as Science, Media, Journalism or International Relations.
- Experience crafting organization- or company-wide communication tools, including branding.
- Experience writing, editing and proofreading messages for targeted audiences.
- Experience liaising with external agencies for mapping, implementing and measuring communication and engagement plans/strategies.
- Experience engaging with media relations networks, working in a fast-paced environment, and experience of working with many partners simultaneously, including working with influencers.
- Experience setting and implementing social/digital strategies, familiarity with communication technologies and best practices.
- Multi-lingual skills appreciated.
- Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience preferred.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication skills.
- Familiarity with communication technologies and best practices.
- Familiarity and some application of current and evolving trends in relevant discipline.
- Experience providing customer service for client relationships.
WHAT WE BRING
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers competitive and comprehensive benefits packages tailored to the individual countries where we work. These may include health care benefits, retirement benefits, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, and disability coverage as well as an employee assistance program and other life and well-being benefits. Learn more about our benefits on our on nature.org/careers.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports the health and well-being of the people we employ.
To apply for Job ID 53193, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at . Need help applying? Visit our page or contact .
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role committing to being equitable across groups and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: