Senior Specialist, Public Policy and Governance (International Position)
The OEC: The Organisation of Educational Cooperation (OEC) is an international intergovernmental organisation, founded in January 2020 by countries from across the Global South, to “contribute to the equitable, just, and prosperous social transformation of societies by promoting balanced and inclusive education, in order to attain the fundamental rights to liberty, justice, dignity, sustainability, social cohesion, and material and immaterial security for the peoples of the world”.
Under the article 1.2.a and 1.2.b of the constitutive charter of OEC the Deptt of Systems Enhancement and Endogenous Development is set up to perform the following core functions , to:
- Provide Technical support , from a systematic perspective, in order to build balanced and inclusive educational systems
- Provide technical support and institutional capacity building in the areas of systemic governance and policy formulation.
- Host and administer OEC Institute of Training
Under the overall authority of the Secretary General, Guidance of the USG, SEED and the direct supervision of the chief of Section, Institutional Capacity Building & Policy Support , the Senior Specialist Policy Support and Engagement would be responsible for closely working with the larger team and the members states on the aspects of Public Policy review and reform building capacities of policy makers and government officials to undertake concurrent and comprehensive assessment of Public Policies including the education policy to ensure that elements of BIE are integrated and adequately reflected into the policy articulation in spirit and letter.
- Support and build the capacity of government officials and institutes working on public policy in member states to review the effectiveness of their policies and build an inclusive education system;
- Stay informed of and prepare reports on the latest developments and trends in the educational policy realm;
- Work with member states to articulate policy frameworks and mechanisms in a complex systemic approach;
- Co-develop and design tools, techniques, and processes to assess the effectiveness of various sector-specific policies for synergy and linkages that may impact education systems, identifying gaps and areas for improvement;
- Guide officials and specialists in member states in designing policies that are facilitative of Balanced and Inclusive Education (BIE);
- Contribute to the development of the Department’s annual work plans to support member states in training key officials on building a robust, balanced and inclusive education system in the countries of the Global South;
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships and stakeholder engagement, specifically with key institutes involved in support for public policy design, review, and reform in member states.
- Strong proven experience in the area of public policy;
- Demonstrated experience in working with a diverse set of stakeholders in the process of policy development;
- Demonstrated experience in the area of monitoring, reviews, analysis, interpretation, advice, and drafting of public policies;
- Excellent proven experience in developing tools, techniques, process guidelines, manuals, and frameworks around public policy review and reform;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to draw clear, concise, and executable work plans;
- Strong conceptual thinking skills and the ability to put them into action;
- Ability to operate sensitively and effectively in a multicultural environment and deal with cross-cultural sensitivity;
- Familiarity with living and working in more than one developing country or countries;
- Experience in working with transnational and emerging democracies and post-conflict environments is an asset.
- At least 5 plus years of progressive direct work experience in the area of designing , supporting and reviewing public policy in a reputed National – International entity/ institute, government;
- Minimum 5 years of work experience around supporting National Institutions in countries on designing policies;
- At least 5 years of experience in building tools, techniques, process guidelines around the review and designing of policies;
- Master’s degree (or higher) in Public Policy / policy studies; regulatory policy and governance, public administration from a reputed institute.
Candidate must at least be fluent in English and additional knowledge of one or more other official languages (French, Arabic, Spanish) will be treated as an asset.
Send your Resume and Cover Letter to:
- Subject: Job Title
This position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and open to international applicants. (Applications South America and Asia Pacific highly encouraged).
Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Position open until filled.