Event-Based Surveillance (EBS) Advisor
Event-Based Surveillance (EBS) Advisor
- Job ID
- International Positions
- Employment Status
The Event based Surveillance Advisor will work with NCDC team to national and subnational EBS efforts. Provide TA to strengthen integrated disease surveillance, accelerate improvement and implementation of syndrome and/or event-based surveillance systems through the IDSR framework and strengthen surveillance systems to transmit standardized electronic surveillance data from LGA State and community levels to a central national hub.
Monthly Gross Salary Range: (NGN875,000 - NGN991,000)
- Strengthen integrated disease surveillance, with real time availability of actionable, high quality surveillance data that can be used to guide decision making.
- Collaborate with partner countries, FAO, OIE, WHO and other relevant partner organizations to adopt and implement agreed upon standards for surveillance data.
- Accelerate improvement and implementation of syndrome- and/or event-based surveillance systems through the IDSR framework.
- Support roll out of EBS in sub national through training workshops, development of guidelines, provision of expert trainers, materials, and curricula, or other contributions in kind.
- Strengthen EB surveillance systems that reach across all levels of government (national and subnational to transmit standardized electronic surveillance data from LGA, State and community levels to a central national hub
- Support community-based surveillance (CBS) implementations and coordination activities; CBS training roll out to different regions, improvement on CBS reporting strategy and SOP’s and development of National Community Based Surveillance Strategic Plan
- Support to foster coordination’s and collaborations with ministries of agriculture and animal health to improve one health disease surveillance strategy
- Collaborate with existing emergency preparedness programs in different state infusing surveillance as part of their IMS and EOC programs by supporting coordination of outbreak response and providing technical surveillance support in EOC’s and TWG’s meetings
- Support strategy to implement a subnational/state EBS surveillance communication network to enhance disease surveillance and information sharing at all levels.
- Provide TA in review and updating of guidelines, travel regulations and standard operation procedures for NCDC.
- Support development and review of scripts and checklist for call agents
- Conduct routine surveillance using digital surveillance platforms, such as EIOS and TATAFO, to detect signals of unusual or unexpected events
- Support the Connect Centre/EOC in the verification of events
- Support the Connect Centre/EOC in outbreak investigation and response activities
- Register and log signals/events and their associated follow up actions into NCDC’s event management system (SITAware)
- Support the development and implementation of epidemic intelligence products, such as daily EBS reports, situation reports, maps, dashboards, and other data visualizations
- Monitor and evaluate uptake and performance of new and existing EBS technologies and products
- Liaise with NCDC surveillance staff supporting indicator-based surveillance (IBS) systems such as SORMAS
- Develop a manuscript for publication in a scientific journal to document lessons learnt on the implementation process Event-based surveillance and community-based strategic (CBS) plan at the sub-nations.
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in organizational setting, transparent, direct with substance, self-starter, self-disciplined, be innovative and creative. Ability to intervene with staff with diplomacy and firmness.
- Demonstrate management, supervision, networking and leadership skills working with large, complex programs and ability to multi-task, communicate clearly and represent the organization at various platforms.
- Undertake any other tasks assigned by the NCDC Director of Surveillance
- MBBS with Master’s degree in Public health, Epidemiology, strategic information, international development or other related fields.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience working in epidemiology and a minimum of 5 years of work experience in developing countries,
- Experience in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data and in the calculation of demographic and epidemiological indicators,
- Experience in the design of protocols for epidemiological surveys, their implementation and dissemination of results,
- Experience in collecting data analysis and interpretation and calculating indicators for specific disease prevention and control programs,
- Experience in identifying and analyzing trends and risk factors by area and population group,
- Experience in collecting data analysis and interpretation and calculating indicators of availability of resources, effectiveness, utilization and hospital income,
- Experience in transferring knowledge and skills through seminars, brainstorms and workshops,
- Experience in word processing, use of spreadsheets (including graphing), database use, e-mail communication and Internet research,
- Possess a range of computer skills (including Word Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access), which may need to be acquired through very quick learning.
- Experience working on USG funded projects and familiarity with international donor policies.
- Experience in training and mentoring government staff at the NRL and subnational.
- Fluency in verbal, written and interpersonal communication in English.
- Fluency in any local language in the project State will be an advantage
- Proficiency in writing and editing letters, reports, and documents.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Excellent presentation skills and verbal and written communications skills.
- Previous experience working in INGO.
- Proficiency in word processing, Microsoft Office and data software.
- Ability to travel 25% of time.
Nigerian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at www.jhpiego.org/careers
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, and references.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego, a Johns Hopkins University affiliate, is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, other legally protected characteristics or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. Jhpiego promotes Affirmative Action for minorities, women, individuals who are disabled, and veterans.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: