Senior Technical Advisor, Health Financing
- Organization: LMH - Last Mile Health
- Grade: Senior level - Experienced
- Public Health and Health Service
- Banking and Finance
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date:
Senior Technical Advisor, Health Financing
This role was posted on May 17, 2023. Please note that we will review applications on a rolling basis and prioritize those received within the first two weeks of posting.
As of March 1, 2022, Last Mile Health is requiring staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 wherever legally allowable and adhere to COVID-19 vaccination requirements to perform core work activities in all locations. To learn more, review ourpolicy.
At Last Mile Health, we make bold commitments that inspire innovation. Do you have experience and technical expertise in Health Financing? If so, you may be our next Senior Technical Advisor, Health Financing, Monrovia.
The Senior Technical Advisor will lead Last Mile Health’s health finance portfolio in Liberia, as part of the National Community Health Systems team. Health Finance portfolio of work aims to strengthen the Government of Liberia’s ability to financially plan, mobilize resources, and make the most of financial resources for its community health sector. Last Mile Health does this through direct technical assistance, developing tools, evidence, and content - e.g., costing tools or cost effectiveness studies, and working with and through partners.
This position is in Monrovia, Liberia and is open to Liberian Nationals and International.
What You’ll Do
- Lead/oversee the design of health finance projects - ensure that they are properly scoped, have clear goals, work plans, working teams, and adequately resourced.
- Be accountable for and report on portfolio progress. Identify challenges to progress, and help the team identify solutions. Identify key risks and elevate them to appropriate stakeholders.
Current portfolio projects include:
- Develop a community health financing strategy, including developing a sustainability and transition roadmap for the National Community Health Assistant program (NCHA)- as part of a USAID sub-award
- Develop a costing for the community health policy, anticipating policy finalization in late 2021
- Conduct resource mapping to identify available resources and commitments to community health
- Mobilize additional resources through domestic and donor sources - e.g., Global Fund, USAID, World Bank
- Work with Ministry of Health to identify and advocate for the long-term community health finance goals
- Partner with key MOH units to diagnose key health financing issues related to community health and develop long term goals and plans to achieve these goals. Departments include Community Health Services Division (CHSD) or Health Finance Unit
- Engage with implementing partners on health finance issues. E.g., collect data or explore testing health finance reforms in select districts or support implementing partners to adopt common frameworks and methods for capturing community health expenditure.
- Support LMH and CHSD in engaging with donors, health sector stakeholders, and other stakeholders relevant for community health finance, including advocacy for specific health finance issues.
- Manage direct reports - coach, mentor, and train others in health finance and manage direct reports for project accountability
- Eventually Chair or Co-Chair Last Mile Health’s Health Finance Technical Working Group, a group consisting of health finance staff from Liberia and the Health Systems Strengthening team. This group has responsibility and accountability for executing on Liberia’s Health Finance portfolio
- In addition to the management duties, in some projects, the Health Finance Technical Liberia will also be individually accountable and contribute to project execution.
What You’ll Bring
- Advanced degree (MA or MPH) from an accredited university, with a focus in health economics, health financing, public health management, or related field; equivalent experience may be substituted for graduate degree.
- Progressive years of experience in health financing technical/advisory roles on donor-funded technical assistance programs in low-/middle-income countries.
- You have experience with managing a portfolio of projects and technical teams to accomplish those projects
- You have Strong influencing skills and ability to develop relations with local counterparts, donors, and other stakeholders.
- Fluency in English required.
- Supervisory experience in coordinating and leading a team.
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have experience on projects designed to support national community health programs, expand health/WASH services, and increase uptake of high-impact interventions in family planning, immunization services, maternal neonatal and child health, and prevention and treatment of malaria.
- You have significant previous experience working with bilateral or multilateral country-level health programming.
- You have strong communication skills, both oral and written; and
- You have experience working in Liberia and/or West Africa.
- You have previous experience with USAID-funded programs
At Last Mile Health, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means that we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to the identity or personal relationships. We have made this model fully transparent so that everyone has access to all information related to compensation. We hope this helps you better understand Last Mile Health’s values and commitments to our employees. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Before applying to this role, please take a moment to learn more about our approach to compensation and how compensation works in each of the countries where we operate. Please find the link to our compensation model and benefits overview below:
OVERVIEW OF LAST MILE HEALTH’S COMPENSATION MODEL
Compensation for this position:
The Band for this position: LBR 3
ForLiberia, the national staff salary range is $20,862 to $ 44,043 USD depending upon experience doing an equivalent role.
For International staff the salary range is $50,862 -$74,043 USD depending upon experience doing an equivalent role.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, visitwww.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status