Administrative Associate -NPSA6
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Mogadishu
- Grade: Administrative support - NPSA-6, National Personnel Services Agreement
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: Closed
UNDP Somalia /Surge /Project Description
Ranking as the most fragile state on the planet in the latest OECD State of Fragility Report , Somalia is a protracted crises characterized by a set of interconnected development failures, political and security challenges, and climate-related fragility drivers.
Against this backdrop, the humanitarian situation in Somalia continues to deteriorate and UNDP has decided to step up its engagement in the L3 emergency response by deploying to the country a surge team to help the agency and portfolio managers expand current programs to collaborate with the Government and other implementing partners including UN humanitarian agencies, the UN Mission to Somalia and other peace actors with the aim to improve the efficiency of the crises response.
Currently, four surge advisors have already been deployed and other surge recruitments are in the pipeline. Administrative SOPs, organization of meetings, movements and other compelling administrative priorities of the surge team require specific expertise and dedication and the Admin Associate will ensure that all activities are implemented, and administrative rules and regulations are complied.
Scope of Work
Implement operational strategies in alignment with governing rules and regulations and with a focus on consistency and quality.
- Ensure full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies to facilitate smooth functioning of the team, including filing (paper and electronic) systems, designs and generates a variety of periodic and ad hoc reports.
- In collaboration with IT and HR sections, handles a wide range of administrative duties/processes (e.g. leave and attendance records, timesheets, travel arrangements, visa applications, equipment purchase, service and supply requisitions, conference room bookings, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, organize and coordinate events, seminars, conferences and translations).
- Provide inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provide inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans. .
Provide support for assets management.
- Maintain records on assets management and prepare reports.
- Maintain the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
Provide support for effective administrative and financial control in the Country Office.
- Assist in the preparation of budget and information for audit.
- Research, retrieve statistical data, and extract other data from internal and external sources; prepare statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Review travel authorizations, documentation, payments.
- Review and verify documents on vendor creation set-up information in ERP.
Provide appropriate and required administrative and logistical services to the Country Office.
- Coordinates various actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities.
- Liaises with UNSOM, UNHAS and other UN entities / TTL security team for administration/support services as required on all matter of administration related to travels, meetings etc.
- Provides information and advice to staff/consultants with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations, visas and travel.
- Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure correct Charge of Account (CoA) is used.
- Provide support to organization of procurement processes, including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, and receipt of quotations, bids or proposals and their preliminary evaluation. Prepare POs. Organize shipments and customs clearance arrangements. Prepare documents/documentation for UNDP shipments (received/sent) and implement follow-up actions. Perform Buyer role in ERP.
- Arrange travel and hotel reservations, review POs for travel activities, and prepare travel authorizations. Provide support to staff members by processing requests for visas and other documents in accordance with requirements of the United Nations and national government. When requested, collect information for DSA, travel agencies, and other administrative surveys.
- Arrange vehicle transportation. Check and record vehicle daily log and gas consumption, update and maintain vehicle history report.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken, and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
- Provide support to the organization/maintenance of common services and maintenance of common premises. Maintain files and records relevant to office maintenance.
- Maintain contacts with visitors and staff, arrange appointments and meetings, and when needed, take minutes, act as an interpreter and/or translate simple correspondence. Compile and prepare briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
Support knowledge building and sharing in the Country Office.
- Assists the Surge team in the preparation of meetings and knowledge products and responds, or drafts responses, to a diverse range of correspondence and other communications.
- Help organize and participate in training for the operations/projects staff on administration and other subjects as needed.
- Organizes receptions, meetings, etc., handling all necessary arrangements including coordinating with the security team.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as minutes taking and preparation of presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Trains Surge team new staff in administrative, protocol and other relevant procedures including raising Travel requests (TRs), travel claims, e-requisitions and TRIPs.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: N/A
Identify the direct supervisor (s) and attach a general overview (or Organigram) in an Annex to show the position of this function within the office and unit structure (without indicating names of individuals).
Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies.
Business Management-Customer Satisfaction/Client Management:
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs.
Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client's upcoming needs and concerns.
Business Management-Operations Management:
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
Administration & Operations -UN travel documents:
- Knowledge of regulatory frameworks and processes related to UN travel documents; ability to facilitate the insurance of UN travel documents for UNDP and UN agencies; processing of visas and ensure oversight and endorsement.
Administration & Operations -Entitlement travel:
- Knowledge of policy and procedures related to entitlement travel, including the identification of entitlement for lump sum for UNDP as well as other UN agencies.
Administration & Operations -Asset Management:
- Knowledge of policy & procedures on PP&E; ability to prepare financial statements on PP&E; maintain Asset Management Module in ERP, perform analytical review of AM reports and asset information to ensure completeness and accuracy of asset information.
Administration & Operations-Vehicle management:
- Knowledge of policy and procedures on fleet management
Administration & Operations -Procurement Management:
- The ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source.
- Secondary education is required.
University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent field will be given due consideration, but it is not a requirement.
- Certifications in Administration and Procurement are desirable.
- Minimum of 6 years (with high school diploma) or 3 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience in administration or Programme support services.
Experience in the use of computers, office software (MS Word, Excel, etc), database packages, and web-based management systems such as ERP.
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise – understands the main processes and methods of work regarding the position, has a basic understanding of organizations processes, has a good knowledge of information technology and applies it to work assignments.
Promotes organization change and development – identifies problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems – Uses information/databases/other management system
- Client Orientation
- Promotes accountability and results based management
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates/safeguarding of ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Knowledge of UN and/or UNDP policies and regulations on Programme and project management is an asset
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in the national language of the duty station is required for local staff - Somali
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: