National Project Manager (NPSA11)
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Islamabad
- Grade: Mid level - NPSA-11, National Personnel Services Agreement
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: Closed
The Reforms and Innovation in Government for High Performance project aims at supporting the government in key governance reforms and innovation in the public sector for improved performance and service delivery, more transparent accountable, and resilient government institutions, improved interprovincial and inter departmental coordination and increased citizens’ satisfaction. This is done by working closely with relevant government counterparts at the federal and provincial level.
Working under the direct supervision of UNDP Assistant Resident Representative, Democratic Governance Unit, the National Project Manager will exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementation, management, monitoring and coordination of the Project and achievements of its results. The National Project Manager will set the strategic direction for the Project, provide expertise and technical assistance and manage the Project’s day to day activities and ensure proposer management of financial and human resources.
The NPM will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Preparation of Work plans and Formulation of Policy Intervention;
- Operational Management of the Project;
- Formulation and Implementation of Strategy and Action Plan towards Good Governance, Institutional Reform;
- Ensure Effective Communication of project results;
- Establishment and Operationalization of an Effective Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning System
- Development and Implementation of Resource Mobilization Strategy.
The National Project Manager will work under the direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative of UNDP’s Democratic Governance Unit (DGU).
- Within the strategic framework agreed with national counterparts and development partners, prepare work plans reflecting the scope of activities, timing, sequencing, cost and other inputs for the implementation of the Project activities;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of policy notes, statements, etc., for high visibility or strategic engagement opportunities (e.g. donor forums, international conferences, etc.) ;
- Provide technical advice to the Project Board, and present work plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Project Board and UNDP Country Office. Contribute in the formulation of any research and policy intervention, as appropriate, based on development experience and research in governance;
Operational Management of the Project
- Ensure operational management of the Project and production of its outputs in accordance with UNDP Programme Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP), UN Frameworks and project strategy document;
- Exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementation, management, monitoring and coordination and ensure appropriate tracking and substantive reporting of project progress for timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Manage efficiently the financial resources of the Project, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting; continuously record and maintain relevant Project activities, issues, risks, etc. in the UNDP Atlas Project Management Module (software platform);
Formulation and Implementation of Strategy and Action Plan towards Good Governance, Institutional Reform
- Analyze and advise on policy and implementation options for reform along with parameters of institutional structure, system, process, human resource and E-governance/technology
- Lead a series of internal and external consultations/workshops on challenges and solutions for governance and operating environment (national and sub-national), and management and accountability imperatives;
- Work closely with various government agencies, including the Ministries and departments, and engage in discussions on various governance policy matters; evaluate the effectiveness of agency programs, policies, and procedures to ensure consistency between national and sub-national level;
Ensure Effective Communication of Project Results
- Ensure high-quality information and visibility of Project activities to the mass media and stakeholders;
- Ensure strong partnerships with relevant government partners and other stakeholders, by facilitating communication and exchange of lessons learned and good practices;
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study tours and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Project.
Enabling an Effective Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning System
- Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring, evaluation and learning system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top-quality progress reports; leveraging lessons learned and best practices for better impact;
- Ensure quality of project progress and financial reports, plans of action and other documentation requirements of CO;
- Ensure effective risk management.
Development and Implementation of Resource Mobilization Strategy for the Project
- Develop and implement a resource mobilization strategy for Project proactively; Lead on the relationship with donors to ensure ongoing and future resources for the project.
- Prepare different project proposals, project documents, and concept notes to facilitate resource mobilization efforts and in response to UNDP and donors’ commitments.
The incumbent of the position will uphold non-discriminatory behavior and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality are prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Inclusive approaches are reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
- Gender mainstreaming: Displays gender sensitivity and promotes gender equality in all aspects of work, Knowledge of systems for gender mainstreaming and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situation
- Resource Mobilization: Ability to lead on the relationship with donors, Ability to analyze information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda: Good knowledge of results-based management, Ability to assess project performance to identify success factors and incorporate best practices into project work & monitors specific stages of project implementation
Management and Leadership
- Management and Leadership: Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback, Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and remains calm, in-control and good humored even under pressure, Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise: Ability to understand and apply fundamental concepts and principles of democratic governance and have basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Building Strategic Partnerships: Ability to maintain an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Master’s degree in Social Sciences, preferably in Economics, Public Policy, Governance, social science or management-related discipline
- Minimum 7 years of working experience preferably in the development sector with a focus on project management and/or experience in institutional development, public sector reforms and capacity building in public sector institutions.
- Strong intellectual and operational capacity in providing advisory services to stakeholders;
- Excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize information
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multicultural, multinational, multi-stakeholder setting and demonstrable ability to motivate people and work in a team setting;
- Focuses on impact and results.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large teams with diverse technical and ethnic backgrounds
- Demonstrated experience of working with large international (bi-lateral/multilateral) organizations, preferably from the donors community
- Demonstrated experience of partnership management and resource mobilization, as well as maintaining effective coordination with stakeholders in government and development partners.
- Excellent computer skills, with MS. Office (Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Strong proficiency in English and Urdu is required
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: