Kiribati ICT in Education Coordination and Resource Mobilization
Parent Sector : [[Education]]
Duty Station: [[Apia, Samoa]]
Classification of duty station: [[Field Office]]
Standard Duration of Assignement : [[From 7 to 11 months]]
Job Family: [[Programmes]]
Type of contract : [[Individual Consultant]]
Duration of contract : [[7 months]]
Recruitment open to : [[External Candidates]]
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : [[31 May 2023]]
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
With UNESCO’s technical and financial support, the Government of Kiribati has developed and endorsed ICT in Education Master Plan 2021-2025, with a vision that ‘Learners in Kiribati are empowered through inclusive use of ICTs to face the challenges of the digital era’ which aligns with its national ICT Policy (2019) and the Government’s Manifesto. Kiribati Ministry of Education prioritizes the Master Plan (MP) implementation as it reviews the Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) 2020-2023 and prepares to develop the next. MOE has recently received Global Partnership for Education (GPE) System Capacity Grant (SCG) with UNICEF as the grant agency and Australia DFAT as coordinating agency, both of which has office and education staff in country. MOE has expressed interest in application of System Transformation Grant (STG) and is currently going through preparation for the application.
Currently, UNESCO is partnering with other UN agencies in support of multi-sectoral, government-wide digital transformation in five Micronesian countries including Kiribati. In Education, this entails strategizing inclusive ICT in Education with concrete action plans including curriculum development and teacher training in multimedia utilization in teaching and consolidation/adaptation of online and offline teaching and learning resources.PURPOSE
In this context, consultancy is needed to assist the Kiribati Ministry of Education (MOE) in (i) supporting strategic positioning of UNESCO and preparing application of Global Partnership for Education (GPE) resource(s) including the development of partnership compact and other resource mobilization options; (ii) integrating and aligning ICT in Education MP implementation, including the EMIS component, in the current and upcoming Education Sector Strategic Plans in close coordination with the government and concerned partners; (iii) coordinating the stakeholders in reviewing the feasibility of MP activities, prioritizing and sequencing in view of the current ICT technology and economic environment and prospects in close collaboration with UNESCO Pacific, Bangkok and Headquarters staff; and (iv) assessing the training needs in implementing the ICT in Education MP and developing plans for MOE, its related institutes as well as for teachers.
25 June, 2023: Inception report on UNESCO’s strategic engagement
25 July, 2023: Draft GPE ITAP (independent technical advisory panel) package or equivalent as required
25 August, 2023: Draft GPE Partnership compact or equivalent as required
25 Sep, 2023: Updated/final GPE resource applications and identification of at least one another viable resource for MP implementation
25 Oct, 2023: Concept note and updated costed plans for at least another viable resource mobilization for MP implementation
25 Nov, 2023: Report on MP review from inclusion perspective and integration in ESSP
15 Dec, 2023: Report on UNESCO engagement strategy, key priorities and next stepsLong Description
This is an Individual international consultancy requiring the consultant to travel to a specific country, which requires the consultant to be responsible for obtaining a visa and necessary permissions to undertake consultancy.
- Place to visit and duration: Kiribati (South Tarawa and outer islands) for approximately one month, at a time mutually agreed with UNESCO and the Government of Kiribati, during the first half of the assignment period.
- Mode of transport: Air to Tarawa, then sea to outer islands
- Class of travel: Economy Class (if sea or road, the equivalent of economy class).
- What is the purpose of the travel?: Consultations with MOE, related institutes and government, and partners; Assessment and planning for training needs for both MOE and teachers; Discussion with the government and partners towards partnership compact development and next ESSP development; and Update status on ICT technology development per geographic areas and plans.
Consultant is expected to cover the cost from their lumpsum fee/approved budget.
Start Date: 5 June, 2023
End Date: 15 December, 2023COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Master’s degree or equivalent in education, technology, social science or other related areas is required.
Certification: Technology and education certification and experience would be of added value.
- Knowledge and experience in resource mobilization and grant application development, in particular GPE resources;
- Experience in coordinating government, development partners and stakeholders from different background;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a multicultural environment with respect and to handle sensitive communication constructively;
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience working on national, regional or international education projects/programmes;
- Understanding of human rights approach, gender equality and their application in policies, programming;
- Ability to take initiatives and produce quality outputs in a timely manner;
- Ability to accommodate frequent virtual meetings within Kiribati and Samoa’s work hours
Languages (Essential): English
Knowledge of Office ICTs: Standard office software for communication, reporting, remote meeting, presentations, and other functions needed for the assignment.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience working in Kiribati and/or Pacific region.
- Knowledge and understanding of effective usage and considerations for ICT for education and current technologies, including learning management platforms;
- Expertise in ICT policy and strategy development;
- Knowledge and experience in Education Management Information Systems.
- Knowledge and experience in curriculum development and training.
Please submit an application online with:
- Technical proposal, including methodology
- Financial proposal and CV as a combined document.
- Proposed work plan
Required validity of the application submitted: 90 daysSELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: