Food and Agriculture Intern
New York City
- Organization: IRC - International Rescue Committee
- Location: New York City
- Grade: Internship - Internship
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Food Security, Livestock and Livelihoods
- Closing Date:
TITLE: Food and Agriculture Intern
LOCATION: New York Resettlement Office Community Farms
START DATE: May 29, 2023
DURATION: May 2023 - (preferred October 2022)
REPORTS TO: This position works directly with the Food and Agriculture Coordinator.
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue
Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst
humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40
countries and 29 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity, and hope, the IRC leads the way from
harm to the home.
The IRC in New York’s food and agriculture program focuses on
increasing community involvement in their local food systems, through hands-on training
and food accessibility programming. Food and agriculture programming takes
place at the two urban farms in the South Bronx and Woodside, Queens.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
The Food and Agriculture Intern will support the IRC Food and Agriculture Coordinator in managing this programming and organizing seasonal food production.
In addition to food production, the intern will assist with organizing the weekly farmer’s market, food distribution, and other educational and community activities.
1. Intern will learn how to effectively manage food and agriculture programs across a wide
2. Intern will learn about local food systems and access to healthy food.
3. Intern will learn how to engage community members around food security programming.