The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization that promotes and supports long-term solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide. DRC In Ukraine is looking for a highly qualified interpreter in Kharkiv.
About the job
DRC Kharkiv is looking for an interpreter who will bridge communication between authorities and displacement-affected population, and DRC HMA Staff in order for them to make informed decisions and address their immediate needs. The interpreter will provide translation and interpretation as well as accurate communication between the staff of the HDP team DRC.
- Provide interpretation between DRC national and international staff, as well as international staff and authorities.
- Provide precise interpretation during individual or group counseling sessions.
- Provide interpretation applying the principles of accuracy, confidentiality, and impartiality at all times.
- Provide clear, understandable, and culturally appropriate translation and interpretation services for persons of concern and the service providers, as required.
- Act in the best interest of the beneficiary. Communicate with beneficiaries in a protective manner ensuring the respect of their rights.
- Actively attend supportive trainings and participate in staff meetings as well as actively participating in skill and knowledge sharing activities with colleagues.
- Perform day-to-day administrative tasks as required by the job.
- Translate assessment tools, meeting minutes and other documents from Ukrainian and/or Russian to English and vice versa.
- Participate in trainings and interpret training materials/tools, communications, etc.
- Be ready to be part of a mobile team or be deployed as needed.
- Respond to ad hoc and urgent requests for interpretation upon coordination with the line manager.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the line manager relevant to the achievement of DRC’s objectives and/or to support implementation of DRC’s activities.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
Required experience and competencies:
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a similar role, preferably working for an INGO. Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Fluency in local language and good command of English – both oral and written.
- Positive ‘can-do’ attitude and stress resilience.
- Strong facilitation skills, building communication with local authorities;
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- High professional ethics and understanding of the policy of confidentiality
- Knowledge or previous experience with HMA is desirable but not essential
Relevant university degree/Diploma in English, interpretation and technical translation, or equivalent professional qualification.
- Contract length: 6 months renewable in case of successful 3 months trial period
- Level: I non-Manager
- Duty Station: Kharkiv
- Start date: As soon as possible.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff (I2)
- Fixed-term Labor Contract
- Medical and Life Insurance
Open for nationals with the right to work in Ukraine only. All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages in English). Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 6 June 2023
We reserve the right to conduct further interviews before the deadline for submission of applications.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: