Cloud Seeding Expert
- Organization: UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: Riyadh
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date: 2023-06-07
Result of Service
Successfully implementation of cloud seeding program for the National Centre for Meteorology.Work Location
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
8 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
Organizational Setting, Purpose and Objective:
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The West Asia Office delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives. This consultancy is established at the West Asia Office within the framework of the Strategic Cooperation Agreement between UNEP and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Consultant will report to the Project Manager at UNEP West Asia Office.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager in UNEP West Asia Office and in coordination with the National Centre for Meteorology (NCM) and the respective department in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MEWA) of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the expert will carry-out, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Technical research and assessment of seeding aircraft equipment and devices including follow-up the latest developments in the manufacturing and improvement of these devices and equipment and make recommendations in this regard.
2. Technical inputs and study of nanotechnology to produce new materials for seeding and make sure whether there is a positive significant return for this technology.
3. Technical guidance in the development and use of radar programs and define the characteristics of the targeted clouds and their water content. In addition, using satellite images and short-term forecasts in the setting of real-time forecasts (0-3 hours) for the development and movement of clouds.
4. Information analysis using the previously collected experiments and information that supports future experiments.
5. Applying the latest appropriate statistical methods and development of numerical models of clouds in an attempt to ensure the positive results of artificial seeding.
6. Conduct training and evaluation of current capabilities available, proposing local and external training programs and the required levels, coordinating with the provided programs by the contractor, and providing short training courses in the workplace.
Expected outputs and deliverables:
1. A report of nanotechnology to produce new materials for seeding.
2. A report on real time forecasts.
3. Numerical models of clouds for positive results of artificial seeding.
4. Capacity building and training programs.
5. A monthly progress reports.
6. Final report on cloud seeding for NCM.
Master’s degree or equivalent degree in meteorology, atmospheric physics or environment sciences is required. PHD is an asset.
A minimum of 10 years of operational and theoretical experience in cloud seeding components: seeding and research aircraft and their instrumentation, seeding materials, radar utilization for cloud characteristics identification and now casting, clouds numerical modelling and data analysis and management is required.
Previous practical experience in similar tasks and knowledge of computer operating systems, software and tools needed in cloud seeding is required.
Experience in training courses and workshops on cloud physics, weather modification and related issues is desirable.
Member in International or regional institution or organization that concerns with weather modification is desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required, proficiency in Arabic is desirable.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.