NATIONAL IMMUNIZATION OFFICER (LUANDA)
- Organization: WHO - World Health Organization
- Location: Luanda
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Public Health and Health Service
- Malaria, Tuberculosis and other infectious diseases
- Closing Date: 2023-06-12
Purpose of the Post:
The technical assistance of the Consultant of the Extended Vaccination Program of the Province will be to strengthen the capacities of the Provincial Health Office and the Municipal Health Directorates in the planning, organization, training, supervision and monitoring of vaccination activities at the municipal level prioritizing the municipalities selected in the MICS-Zero Dose Project, so that they achieve the objectives set out in the sustainable development framework of the EPI.
2. WORKPLACE AND REPORTING
Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate unit or field activity (Overview of the programme):
The incumbent role will be the transfer of theoretical and practical knowledge, the development of competencies of public health teams and EPI for the autonomous and sustainable management of the vaccination program, in accordance with the guidelines of the National Immunization Program.
Organizational Context (Describe the work environment, the role of the individual within the team – team member, specialist, adviser, facilitator, coordinator/manager, representative, expert, authority in the field, etc.; available guidelines and degree of independence in decision making, and nature and purpose of contact within and outside the Organization):
The Consultant will be based at the headquarters of the province with regular trips to the selected municipalities under technical and administrative Supervision of the WHO and will provide immunization support under the guidance of the Head of the Provincial Public Health Department and the Provincial Director of Health. The incumbent will support the activities of the provincial and municipal EPI teams by prioritizing the selected municipalities of the MICS-Zero-doses Project.
Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected):
Planning and monitoring
• Technical support to prepare and monitor the implementation of the annual and quarterly EPI plan for the province and each prioritized municipality.
• Support the implementation of workshops for consultation and collaboration on Exchange Theory with the participation of the provincial team, partners, and representatives of the selected municipalities.
• Support municipal microplanning of vaccination in fixed posts and vaccination through advanced and mobile teams, focusing on areas with highest Zero-Dose children.
• Provide technical support organize the monthly/quarterly meetings for monitoring the implementation of planned activities.
• Support and monitor the implementation of digital management of routine vaccination.
• Support planning and implementation of periodic meetings of the Provincial Health Coordination Committee, involving implementation partners.
Human resources development, formative supervision
• Contribute to/Develop training activities plan and personalized mentoring of the Provincial and Municipal team of EPI supervisors creating /strengthening the ability to plan to monitor and supervise the implementation of activities in a sustained and reliable manner.
• Support the training of vaccination personnel of new routine vaccination posts (public and private).
• Technical support to organize and monitor the gradual implementation of the vaccination course in practice for operational personnel of the municipalities of the MICs Project.
• Organize and participate in supportive supervisions to the municipalities.
Improvement of the quality of routine immunization
• Provide support in implementing the Zero Tolerance initiative to break stock and monitor its compliance.
• Using the IOTA platform, monitor weekly the stock of vaccine and material at provincial, municipal, and sanitary unit level, together the EPI teams.
• Monitor the quality of the digital registration of vaccination and routine in the services where it is implemented.
Preparation of reports
• Support elaboration of monthly summary reports.
• Prepare quarterly progress report on the mentoring plan for EPI technicians.
Competencies (Describe the core, management or leadership competencies required - See WHO competency model – list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones – identify a minimum of three and a maximum of five competencies):
1. Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond
2. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
3. Ensuring the effective use of resources
Functional Skills and Knowledge (Describe skills and knowledge specific to the post):
1. Proven knowledge of EPI management within the context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Ability to conduct research and analyze results, identify issues, formulate opinions, and make conclusions and recommendations for strengthening health care systems.
2. Good knowledge of Immunization health services and safety regulations
3. Ability to prioritize, organize, manage, and adapt management style according to needs
4. Ability to build and motivate teams and work under pressure
Essential: First university degree in medical sciences or related field of health sciences from an accredited/recognized institute.
Desirable: Master’s in public health.
Essential: At least one year of progressively responsible professional experience in Immunization.
Desirable: Considerable experience in programme planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and supervision at national, state or local government area; Relevant work experience with WHO and/or UN agencies, health cluster partners; experience working in relevant nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations.
Essential: Excellent knowledge of Portuguese.
Desirable: Knowledge UN language.
Other Skills (e.g., IT):
• Proficiency in all MSOffice software applications.