Deputy Chief of Party
Deputy Chief of Party
- Job ID
- International Positions
- Employment Status
- Contingent Upon Award
The Deputy Chief of Party / Technical Director will provide technical leadership for an upcoming USAID-funded Health System Strengthening project which aims to improve and promote access to quality health services for Liberians. The project will operate over a two-year period with an additional 3 years depending on performance.
The position will operate under the leadership of the Chief of Party and Jhpiego’s senior management team, and will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of all project activities. In collaboration with project team and partners, the position will support the design and delivery of strategic wrap around technical assistance (TA) activities at national, county, district and facility levels to strengthen critical components of the health system to improve access to and affordability of health services. TA will support decentralization of health structures to drive health system performance; strengthen delivery of high-quality health services; and reduce out-of-pocket spending on healthcare for Liberians.
This position is contingent upon award from USAID. Liberian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of appropriate project activities
- Provide technical leadership to the development of the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with MOH, USAID, and other stakeholders to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award
- Establish and implement a system to ensure technical quality of TA, capacity strengthening and project activities
- Ensure best practices in RMNCAH and malaria interventions are advocated for and integrated into project planning and implementation
- Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise within health systems strengthening, including public financial management, health governance, quality health service delivery, health financing reforms, performance-based financing, and use of data systems to improve quality, analysis, and reporting.
- Provide technical guidance in strengthening implementation of quality improvement and quality assurance to improve health services, including site assessments, strengthening quality management teams, supporting on-site coaching and mentorship and in-service training and joint integrated supportive supervision process improvements
- Coordinate advocacy, demand generation, and policy support, across project sites as required
- Lead the formulation of innovative approaches for scale up of targeted health systems strengthening services
- Provide technical leadership to a Technical Assistance Fund to ensure delivery of project funds to address gaps and ensure achievement of project objectives
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
- Work with health care providers, local authorities, community members and project team members to identify clinical and community-based service delivery issues that impede access to care and uptake of services
- Guide strategies for improving health board, facility and community engagement for better health service quality and accountability
- Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results related to health systems strengthening to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the Ministry of Health and other US and international implementing partners, to ensure that all activities conform to project requirements and MOH regulations
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for health systems strengthening
- Represent Jhpiego and the project’s progress, achievements and lessons learned to donors, other key stakeholders, and through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
- Supervise technical staff
- Manage technical contributions of subgrantees
- Maintain excellent relationships with USAID and in-country stakeholders and develop rapid responses
- Master of Public Health required, and Medical Degree (medical, midwifery or nursing),
- At least 10 years’ experience implementing and/or providing technical assistance in health systems strengthening
- At least 10 years’ experience in implementing and/or providing technical assistance on donor-funded projects and in the design and implementation of overseas health projects; preferably in the West and Central African region
- Demonstrated experience providing capacity building assistance at individual and organizational levels
- Skilled in two or more of the following technical areas: public financial management, health governance, quality health service delivery, malaria, health financing reforms, capacity building, use of data systems to improve quality, analysis, and reporting
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in health systems strengthening necessary for strengthening health systems service delivery at the regional, national, clinical and community-level
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Liberia’s healthcare system, particularly the public health system
- In-depth understanding of USAID regulations and compliance
- Familiarity with USAID’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering teamwork
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites and internationally
- Experience living and working in Liberia preferred
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at www.jhpiego.org/careers
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, and references.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego, a Johns Hopkins University affiliate, is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, other legally protected characteristics or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. Jhpiego promotes Affirmative Action for minorities, women, individuals who are disabled, and veterans.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: