H (no hardship)
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
June 8, 2023
Senior Supply Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Supply Associate manages and supports all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing & procurement, transport, shipping, customs clearance, warehousing, assets & fleet management and monitoring, as applicable for the area of responsibility (AoR).
The incumbent is supervised by a higher level supply position and receives regular guidance and instructions from the supervisor on successive steps. S/he may supervise some general service and/or AWF staff. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR offices, UN agencies, NGOs, government partners and commercial contractors in the area to facilitate performing the supply function. The duty of the Senior Supply Associate is to support and monitor the management of material resources within the geographical area covered while exercising efficiency in the use of the available resources.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- In compliance with supply chain rules and procedures, support the related supply activities to facilitate UNHCR end to end processes resulting in a timely and quality delivery of goods and services to persons of concern.
- Prepare plans for delivery of relief and other non-food items according to the operational needs and regularly update the information in UNHCR IT systems.
- Apply UNHCR's sourcing & procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services. Update the information in UNHCR IT systems.
- Contribute to preparing supply chain management plans, implement them and provide information on the status of requests and the availability of items in the different steps of the supply chain.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on supply activities and provide timely reports and updates both periodically and on request.
- Evaluate purchase requisitions to ensure that specifications, delivery dates and all other requirements are in order.
- Draft and dispatch quotation requests and/or tenders, assist in the evaluation of offers and draft bid-tabulations and prepare proposals for award of contracts to the Committee on Contracts.
- Prepare Purchase Orders and send confirmations, requests for inspection and other correspondence.
- Support warehouse management; monitor the manufacture/transport of ordered goods and relocations of goods between UNHCR warehouses to ensure timely delivery.
- Provide guidance and advice on UNHCR procurement policies and procedures to support and assist requesting operations, HQ entities and others, as applicable.
- Ensure that PPE agreements are properly issued and signed.
- Ensure proper preparation of disposal forms and cases for the Asset Management Board.
- Provide asset management reports, customised reports, and gather information on all assets and provide in-depth reports periodically and when requested.
- Monitor the quality and accuracy of supply chain related data in relevant business systems. Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends and developments in supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
- Disseminate, promote commitment to and monitor compliance with UNHCR's global policies, standards and guidance on supply chain management.
In the Regional Bureaux
- Track the progress of specific operations and advice senior regional and/or country operation¿s management including guidance that ensures timely implementation and/or corrective actions, as required.
- Assist in coaching and advising individuals as requested.
- Track global Supply KPIs for the region and assist in devising regional ones, as required.
- Monitor all periodic Supply exercises such as monthly reconciliations, quarterly physical inventory exercises, and year-end accounts closure procedures and ensure compliance through provision of guidance and advice to senior regional and country operation¿s managers.
- Assist Country Operations in MSRP management.
- Support the analysis of country financial reports and work with the Country Operations Supply Team leaders to address red areas relating to Supply aspects of operations by providing advice and corrective measures in compliance with Supply and Financial rules and regulations.
- Support the country needs assessment plans and ensure their full inclusion/reflection in the regional procurement plans. Monitor the implementation and propose/review revisions based on operational needs.
In the Country Operations
- Ensure local liaison with partners to effectively support the supply activities.
- Provide effective local support to UNHCR supply chain to develop an infrastructure that accommodates the needs of its operation.
- Manage storage of goods according to "best practices" and UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Ensure timely customs clearance of consignments.
- Coordinate supply activities of UNHCR Partners and/or contractors performing supply related activities, and ensure that they understand and adhere to relevant UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Establish PPE status through regular physical verification.
- Manage PPE disposal process for the old/obsolete items according to Asset Management Board decisions and plan for replacement items.
- Implement effective asset and fleet management that regularly monitors the asset/fleet pool, saves cost and safeguards the investment of the organisation including receipt, inspection, registration & marking of new Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE), and organisation of the physical verification of PPE.
- Adapt local supply chain structures to be consistent with the operational needs. Ensure effective information flow in the supply chain and adapt local process to the prevailing environment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 - 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Trade; Commerce; Business Administration;
Economics; Marketing; or other relevant field.
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Other UN procurement and logistics training ¿ such as IAPSO and UNPD.
SC-PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
S/He should be an experienced professional who will be able to address the evolving supply chain needs of a complex operation like Greece. S/He will need to have excellent knowledge of the public procurement policy and logistics management fields. S/He will need to have managerial skills since will be the back-up on the Associate Supply Officer and should be able to provide guidance to the Supply Unit and the operation on Supply Chain Activities (including procurement and warehousing, management of core relief items and asset management). The incumbent will require proven people/diplomatic/negotiation skills, results orientation, assertiveness, and consensus building.
Essential criteria for the position:
-Knowledge of MSRP or other ERP System.
-Knowledge of Greek language (fluency) and English on B2 level.
Desirable criteria for the position:
-At least four years’ working experience in UN or other international Organizations, or NGOs will be considered as an asset.
-Degree of Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences or other relevant field
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link:
Nature of Position:
The Senior Supply Associate reports to the Associate Supply Officer (N) and is a member of the Supply Function of Greece Operation. S/He will be responsible for the management of procurement activities (ABOD and OPS combined) and will oversee the warehouse/logistics activities for the operation. S/He will administer Frame Agreements and will need to be responsible of the relationship with all suppliers of the operation. UNHCR Greece currently has approx. 50 contracted suppliers for various items and services.
Living and Working Conditions:
Greece has been one of the main entry points of refugees wishing to reach the EU. UNHCR has supported - and will continue doing so - the Government, which leads the refugee response working closely with the EU, state and municipal actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, refugees, local communities. While Greece is still considered a transit country, it has also become a country of asylum. UNHCR estimates that some 70,000-80,000 refugees, including those with subsidiary and temporary protection status, are currently living in Greece, in addition to some 30,000 asylum-seekers. While most refugees and asylum-seekers are in the mainland, living in and outside camps, there are currently over 4,500 in the islands. The large majority of the latter live in camps. UNHCR Greece is focused on a protection-driven approach around two pillars: 1.access to international protection and 2.durable solutions with a focus on integration. UNHCR uses a mix of operational engagement, CB protection efforts, expert advice provision to the Government, monitoring and improved data collection, targeted interventions and advocacy, aiming to support Greece in fulfilling its obligations to provide protection and solutions to persons in need of international protection. Child protection, prevention of sexual and gender-based violence and sexual exploitation and abuse, and institutional capacity strengthening in these areas will continue to be priority, in line with the Office’s age, gender and diversity mainstreaming approach. In doing so, UNHCR seeks to build on the strengths and capacities of refugees, working together and in consultation with them.
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems, IT-Computer Literacy, Management of Employees, SC-Asset Management, SC-Customs clearance, SC-Fleet Management, SC-Logistics, SC-PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management, SC-Public procurement, SC-Supply Planning, SC-Warehouse Management
Business Administration - Other, Commerce - Other, Economics - Other, HCR Learning Program - UNHCR, HCR Supply Chain Learning Program - UNHCR, IAPSO/UNDP Procurement - Other, Marketing - Other, Trade - Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Managing performance, Organizational awareness, Stakeholder management, Teamwork & collaboration
This position doesn't require a functional clearance