Communications Analyst - National post
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kyiv
- Grade: Junior level - NO-A, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2023-06-05
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Ukraine UN Women works with the government, parliament and civil society in advancing gender equality through implementation of the national and international commitments on gender equality and women’s human rights. UN Women Ukraine implements interventions towards the realization of following strategic goals: elimination of violence against women and girls; implementation of women, peace and security agenda and gender responsive governance. UN Women works closely with the UN Country Team in integration of women’s rights and gender equality in all spheres of UN work.
Reporting to the Advocacy and Communications Analyst, the Communications Analyst is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the Office communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public.
The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in the CO, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide substantive support to the planning and design of external communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Provide analysis for elaboration of communication strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as necessary;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and provide analysis to RO/HQ;
- Provide inputs and support to the launch of in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events.
- Coordinate and contribute substantively to the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in the Ukraine
- Draft briefing materials, and press releases and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Identify storylines for publication and articles;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Coordinate the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO.
- Coordinate media relations for the CO
- Coordinate the establishment of relevant relationships;
- Maintain list of relevant media in country;
- Respond to inquiries for public and UN system information materials;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences and briefing session for press, as required;
- Draft talking points.
- Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors
- Maintain relationships with partners and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors, as delegated.
- Coordinate the CO’s web/ online presence
- Coordinate CO’s websites’ content and maintenance based on corporate requirements;
- Coordinate CO’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, resources.
- Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme goals and activities;
- Organize and conduct training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely updating of website and social media
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in Ukraine
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Knowledge of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Knowledge of local country media landscape
- Communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
UN Women Personal History Form (P11) must be completed and attached as part of the online application - https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.unwomen.org%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2FHeadquarters%2FAttachments%2FSections%2FAbout%2520Us%2FEmployment%2FUN-Women-P11-Personal-History-Form.doc&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check).