Technician III - Facilities and Grounds Services
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
Under the auspices of the Integrative Research Support Platform, the Zeigler Experiment Station delivers services, manages, and maintains all research fields and facilities to ensure timely provision of resources and personnel required by research programs within HQ. This position will perform support services related to Ground Maintenance, Garbage Collection and Environmental Sanitation, Field Operations, and Greenhouse/Screenhouse/Headhouse maintenance.
This position will be based at the IRRI Headquarters, Los Baños, Philippines and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the Philippines.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Ensure the schedule of maintenance activities and garbage collection/disposal for all IRRI supported sites within Los Banos are implemented in a timely manner based on standard protocols, work orders and service requests
- Perform and operate medium to heavy farm equipment and machinery for any field operation activities
- Prepare materials, tools and equipment necessary to execute assignments
- Perform proper safety operation procedures, housekeeping practices and maintenance of equipment before, during and after work periods to maintain quality, reliability , safety in all activities
- Execute repair, maintenance and service operations in accordance with work requests to ensure cost-effective and quality outcome
- Check soil request through OCS, pick up, monitor, schedule and serve soil requests and use of soil sterilizers
- Operate soil grinding equipment and maintain cleanliness in the soil grinding area
- Do soil stockpiling, grinding operations
- Operate and maintain heavy equipment, compactor trucks and skip bin truck to ensure continuous collection and disposal of garbage
- Maintain and sustain operability of all machinery, equipment and tools in the Grounds and Fields operations
- Coordinate with different IRRI service units to ensure ample and timely supply of materials (e.g. field consumables, reagents), proper handling of hazardous waste, disposal of obsolete and/or non-functional equipment and proper maintenance of research areas / fields
- Work closely with internal stakeholders to ensure efficient execution of research activities
- Coordinate with the supervisor for efficient and timely execution of work assignments
- Provide recommendations, solutions and/or necessary feedback to stakeholders
- Sign completed/finished repair and/or maintenance work orders
- Implement quality, consistent, and timely services for greenhouse, screenhouse, and headhouse maintenance and ground services
- Monitors progress on in-house, contracted/work orders on repair and maintenance activities
- Train technicians on troubleshooting activities
- Inspect, test, evaluate and provide feedback on newly acquired and old equipment and tools
- Coordinate with internal and external service providers in the repair and maintenance of machinery and equipment
- Report, monitor and follow up with internal and outside service providers repair and maintenance requests
- High school graduate with at least 5 years relevant working experience; or
- Vocational graduate with at least 3 years relevant working experience
- 5 years of driving experience
- Basic knowledge of MS office
- Licensed driver (LTO code 3 and up)
- Knowledge of vehicle operations
- Can do minor repair and maintenance work on vehicles and equipment
- Can operate light to medium tractors
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances.
Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: