International Consultant for the preparation of Paraguay Verification report on the implementation of HPMP stage II.
Result of Service
A direct and timely provision of assistance to CAP, namely technical support, and advice during the review process of projects in terms of compliance with ExCom guidelines/policies for the verification of HCFC consumption in Paraguay for the years 2021 - 2023.
Timely completion and submission of the corresponding verification report on Paraguay’s HCFC consumption for the years 2021-2023.
7 months (December 2023 - June 2024)Duties and Responsibilities
UNEP is an Implementing Agency of the Multilateral Fund (MLF) for the Implementation of the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer. UNEP’s OzonAction’s Compliance Action Programme (CAP) provides global management services to ensure that National Ozone Units (NOUs) are provided adequate advisory services, capacity building and technical assistance to implement activities approved by the MLF’s Executive Committee (ExCom). At the same time, the global programme management services ensure that the ExCom receives timely, accurate, relevant and high-quality project proposals, financial and substantive reports, and information about the implementation of actions on the ground.
The ExCom approved funding for UNEP (as lead agency) to conduct the verification of national HCFC consumption as part of the activities for the implementation of the HPMP in Paraguay (Inventory code-PAR/PHA/91/TAS/45). The funds were approved by 91st ExCom Meeting. The country implements a staged approach strategy of HCFC Phase-out Management Plan (HPMP).
UNEP’s Business Plan for the years of 2021–2023 (UNEP/OzL.Pro/ExCom/86/34) is endorsed by the ExCom-86. Through the activities identified in this Business Plan, UNEP will assist the countries with implementing their HCFC phase-out responsibilities including preparing for the 2025 target and subsequent reduction steps, strengthening the government institutions in Article 5 countries responsible for implementing and reporting on their national strategies to comply with the Montreal Protocol, and sustaining Article 5 countries’ compliance with ozone depleting substance (ODS) phase out targets already met. The project services include preparation of HCFC Phase out Management Plans (HPMPs) for Stages I, II and III, Institutional Strengthening projects, Preparation of hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) phase down plans (Kigali Implementation Plans or KIPs) and other technical assistance programmes. Therefore, OzonAction requires an international consultant to provide technical support during the project preparation process to ensure compliance with ExCom guidelines/policies.
Based on the ExCom decision 86/34 ("…to ensure that the verification reports covered all the years since the approval of the previous tranche, including the year of the approval of that tranche"), the reports need to be submitted on the achievement of consumption targets of Paraguay for the years 2021 - 2023. For this purpose, UNEP will engage an independent consultant to conduct verification of actual consumption of Annex C, Group I chemicals (HCFCs) and to prepare the verification reports considering various rules/guidance of the ExCom, he or she will provide technical assistance during the review process of the verification reports and facilitate UNEP's submission to the 94th ExCom.
The consultant will be responsible for the following actions:
- Verification report workplan, tentative mission schedule and verification report template. The verification of national consumption targets for the multi-year agreements are to be in line with the Guidelines approved by ExCom at its 46th meeting (Annex XIII) and also should be taking into account requirements for the Verification Report to be provided by UNEP.
- Travel on mission to Paraguay to verify national consumption.
- Preparation of the draft Verification Report on the implementation of the HCFC phase- out management plan in Paraguay (Inventory Code- PAR/PHA/91/TAS/45). The verification of national consumption targets for the multi-year agreements are to be in line with the guidelines approved by ExCom at its 46th meeting (Annex XIII) and also should be taking into account requirements to be provided by UNEP.
- Technical assistance in reviewing the verification reports (1 report for ExCom- 94). The verification of national consumption targets for the multi-year agreements are to be in line with the Guidelines approved by ExCom at its 46th meeting (Annex XIII).
- Preparation of the final Verification Report on the implementation of the HCFC phase- out management plan in Paraguay (Inventory Code- PAR/PHA/91/TAS/45). The verification of national consumption targets for the multi-year agreements are to be in line with the Guidelines approved by ExCom at its 46th meeting (Annex XIII) and also should be taking into account requirements to be provided by UNEP.
-Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Environmental science/Environmental policy/Engineering or similar field is required.
-At least 7 years of work experience in relation to the Montreal Protocol is required.
-Expertise with policy and technical expertise related to the implementation of the Montreal Protocol in developing countries is desirable.
-Good understanding of national obligations arising from the Kigali Amendment under Montreal Protocol is desirable.
-Good understanding of ExCom decisions regarding HPMP’s HCFC activities and other technical assistance projects funded by MLF is desirable.
-Excellent written communication skills in Spanish and English are required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: