IMEO Senior Communications Expert
Result of Service
IMEO's visibility is enhanced, IMEO's annual report is finalised and launched and IMEO's communication activities are implemented.Work Location
6 monthsDuties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (Energy and Climate Branch) hosts the International Methane Emissions Observatory (IMEO), an initiative that drives action on methane, IMEO takes an innovative approach to address the methane emissions problem by collecting, integrating, and reconciling data from different sources, including scientific measurement studies, satellites, the Methane Alert and Response System (MARS), rigorous industry reporting through the Oil and Gas Methane Partnership 2.0 (OGMP 2.0), and national inventories.
IMEO is creating a global public dataset of empirically verified methane emissions, with an initial focus on fossil fuel sources. It will interconnect data with actions on research, reporting, and regulation. This will catalyse deep reductions in human-made methane emissions and serve the rapidly growing ecosystem of governments, companies, investors, researchers, NGOs and other entities engaging in this crucial climate challenge.
In this regard, UNEP Energy & Climate Branch is seeking the expertise of a communication expert to support IMEO communications, including the annual delivery of its annual report.
• University Degree/Master’s in social sciences, journalism, marketing, mass communications or other related fields.
b. Work Experience
• At least 5 (five) years of professional work experience in communications, journalism, public relations with a focus on climate change or environmental issues.
• Advanced skills in content management, storytelling and media relations.
• Experience in conducting online and offline campaigns, multimedia products development and implementation.
• Experience in using office software packages. Knowledge of specific software for digital content production is an asset.
• Previous work with UN agencies is an asset.
• A good understanding of methane emissions, energy and oil & gas is a strong advantage.
c. Key Competencies
• Be fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Ability to draft cohesive and compelling narratives on projects. Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues in the IMEO team and UNEP Energy & Climate Branch Communications officer to achieve organizational and strategic goals; is willing to learn from others; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position.
• Planning & Organizing: Outstanding ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks effectively and on time.
At least 5 (five) years of professional work experience in communications, journalism, public relations with a focus on climate change or environmental issues.
Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Under the guidance and supervision of IMEO, OGMP 2.0 and MARS teams and with the matrix supervision by UNEP Energy & Climate Branch Communications Officer, the communications expert will be responsible for enhancing visibility and implementing communication activities of UNEP’s methane portfolio in particular IMEO. She/he will develop communications and advocacy strategies, identify strategic events to engage in, manage IMEO’s digital presence and support the production of communications, marketing and advocacy materials and knowledge products. The Communications Expert will also closely work with UNEP Energy & Climate Branch Communications to ensure communication strategies, digital presence and organizational outreach are well aligned with corporate communications policies and initiatives.
The senior communications consultant will:
• Support the development of an overarching communications strategy for IMEO, including the OGMP 2.0 and MARS workstreams, aimed at raising visibility and awareness of the outcomes and activities among key audiences, namely oil and gas companies, investors, Energy officials, NGOs, researchers and the media.
• Build and maintain a list of media contacts to engage with in order to enhance understanding of UNEP’s work on methane.
• Oversee IMEO’s social media presence and develop a strategy to reach out to influential voices on methane.
• Maintain IMEO and OGMP2.0 websites updated.
• Contribute to the engagement of IMEO with external stakeholders and build audience-oriented narratives of IMEO’s activities.
• Plan communication and advocacy initiatives around thematic campaigns, high-level events like COP 28 and regional events like the Regional Climate Weeks, key thematic international days, also jointly with key projects’ stakeholders and partners.
• Contribute to UNEP Climate Change strategy.
• Draft press releases, stories, scripts.
• Coordinate the launch of IMEO Annual Report including liaising with the graphic designer.
• Develop communication plan around COP28 and the launch of IMEO Annual Report.
• Design and circulate impactful newsletters on UNEP’s work on methane, in particular IMEO’s, geared toward target audiences.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: