Senior Associate, Oxygen Program
Senior Associate, Oxygen Program
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - Laos
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to our mission of saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries. We work at the invitation of governments to support them and the private sector to create and sustain high-quality health systems.
CHAI was founded in 2002 in response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic with the goal of dramatically reducing the price of life-saving drugs and increasing access to these medicines in the countries with the highest burden of the disease. Over the following two decades, CHAI has expanded its focus. Today, along with HIV, we work in conjunction with our partners to prevent and treat infectious diseases such as COVID-19, malaria, tuberculosis, and hepatitis. Our work has also expanded into cancer, diabetes, hypertension, and other non-communicable diseases, and we work to accelerate the rollout of lifesaving vaccines, reduce maternal and child mortality, combat chronic malnutrition, and increase access to assistive technology. We are investing in horizontal approaches to strengthen health systems through programs in human resources for health, digital health, and health financing. With each new and innovative program, our strategy is grounded in maximizing sustainable impact at scale, ensuring that governments lead the solutions, that programs are designed to scale nationally, and learnings are shared globally.
At CHAI, our people are our greatest asset, and none of this work would be possible without their talent, time, dedication and passion for our mission and values. We are a highly diverse team of enthusiastic individuals across 40 countries with a broad range of skillsets and life experiences. CHAI is deeply grounded in the countries we work in, with majority of our staff based in program countries. Learn more about our exciting work: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to providing an environment of fairness, and mutual respect where all applicants have access to equal employment opportunities. CHAI values diversity and inclusion, and recognizes that our mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people with diverse experience, backgrounds, and culture.
Program and Position Overview:
CHAI has partnered with the Government in Lao PDR since 2014, supporting the Ministry of Health (MoH) across several health programs including Procurement and Supply Management, Malaria Elimination, HIV and TB Access, and Maternal and Child Health. CHAI Laos has also supported the MoH’s COVID-19 response since the beginning of the pandemic.
CHAI seeks a highly-motivated individual with strong problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills to work as a Senior Associate for the Oxygen/Respiratory Care Program based in Vientiane, Lao PDR. The Senior Associate will provide direct support to the Ministry of Health to support efforts that will rapidly increase the availability of oxygen at health facilities nationwide and enhance the country’s ability to respond effectively to pandemics such as COVID-19. The Senior Associate will work together with the Department of Healthcare and Rehabilitation, MoH, to strengthen medical oxygen delivery mechanisms throughout Lao PDR and improve diagnostics and treatment protocols to ensure preparedness for COVID-19 and other respiratory infections. This will include support on the planning and facilitation of trainings, assisting with partner coordination meetings, conducting supervision visits to health facilities, capacity building, and other support as needed. The role will require 10-20% domestic travel.
Key responsibilities of the Senior Associate include, but are not limited to:
- Support the development and refinement of the Oxygen program’s strategic initiatives, ensuring ongoing alignment with the MOH strategic goals and priorities
- Support Ministry of Health to ensure continuous availability of oxygen and necessary delivery systems in hospitals at all levels
- Support the Ministry of Health to prepare for and deliver report and meetings necessary to the project as part of the capacity building of government staffs
- Closely support other MOH departments in planning and implementation of activities highlighted in the National Oxygen Roadmap
- Collaborate with internal CHAI teams to facilitate access to key information and stakeholders, provide updates, and leverage core competencies of the various CHAI teams
- Leverage quantitative tools and platforms to conduct qualitative and quantitative exercises to ensure the availability, deliverability and accessibility to Oxygen in targeted facilities
- Prepare analysis and build tools to support Oxygen investment case and refine the roadmap for Lao PDR when necessary
- Manage ongoing and aupcoming procurement activities and lead communication and coordination with external partners, suppliers and vendors as necessary
- Establish collaborative relationships with the MOH, partner organizations and other relevant stakeholders
- Support the team’s administrative tasks and other responsibilities as assigned by the manager
- Manage daily tasks and responsibilities of other team members – Program Officer and Logistics Analyst
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and at least 5 -10 years of professional work experience
- Ability to work independently, and outstanding planning, coordination and organizational skills
- Excellent diplomatic and interpersonal skills, and the ability to build professional and collaborative relationships
- Strong analytical skills with experience in creating investment cases for clients
- Strong written and oral communication skills in the English language, with the ability to prepare compelling presentations and memo documents
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite: MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
- Ability to travel at short notice and on a regular basis
- Strong written and oral communication skills in the Lao or Thai language, with the ability to prepare compelling presentations and memo documents
- Experience in healthcare system strengthening
- Experience living and working with Asian or low/middle income governments and institutions
- Experience in conducting costing, quantification and forecasting analyses