Geophysical Engineering Officer (P-4)
|Division:||International Monitoring System Division|
|Section:||Engineering and Development|
|Type of Appointment:||Fixed Term Appointment|
|Date of Issuance:||04/08/2023|
|Deadline for Applications:|| |
|Reporting Date:||As soon as possible|
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in the International Monitoring System Division, Engineering and Development Section.
Under the supervision of the Chief, Engineering and Development Section, to:
Duties and Responsibilities
Identify, plan and execute projects and provide engineering solutions in support of the installation, testing, operation, maintenance repair, upgrade and medium-long term sustainment of the seismic and infrasound component of the International Monitoring System (IMS) network;
Provide expert advice on and conduct signal processing, data quality and state-of-health monitoring, data security/authentication, monitoring of stations incidents and related reporting, configuration changes and related testing, categorization of failures (failure analysis), data acquisition, communications technology, computer networking applications, and equipment/interfaces integration issues;
Identify areas of potential improvement to IMS seismic and infrasound station components based on failure analysis for the benefit of the IMS network sustainment;
Formulate testing frameworks and execute testing and troubleshooting in liaison with station operators, equipment providers, International Monitoring System and International Data Centre stakeholders;
Prepare technical assessments, including certification and revalidation reports;
Analyse calibration activities, identify areas for enhancing the production, quality and robustness of full frequency results with particular focus on seismic calibration processes, provide support and expert guidance (including the development of specific documentation) to PTS, Station Operators and other external stakeholders;
Formulate terms of reference for hardware/software development and testing as well as project management for related contracts
Support IMS training activities including technical training programmes;
Contribute to the coordination with diplomatic missions and technical organizations on arrangements for the establishment and operation of facilities of the Seismic and Infrasound component of the IMS network and support the strategic planning of the work programme;
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in applied physics, geophysics, electrical or power engineering, or a closely related field.
Work Experience and Qualifications
At least seven (7) years relevant working experience in the field of geophysical data acquisition systems or signal processing, preferably part of which should have been in an international environment;
Experience with programming languages and with the development of scientific software using Python and/or MATLAB, with seismic and/or infrasound data processing tools and with Relational Databases is essential;
Excellent knowledge of instrument responses, data exchange formats and protocols and UNIX/LINUX based computers is required;
Knowledge of computer networking principles, TCP/IP networking concepts, communications technology is required;
Experience in providing scientific and technical advice, including experience in complex international organizations is required;
Experience in working in an agile project management framework is an asset;
Strong project management skills are essential;
Strong analytical skills and experience producing reports and papers on technical issues are required;
Ability to design and manage complex, result-based programs/projects is essential;
Proven ability to build relevant strategic partnerships and alliances with key stakeholders and partners is essential;
Strong ability to communicate effectively in multicultural environment is essential.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential;
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is desirable.
- Professionalism - Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from other and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Planning and organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Accountability - Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable;
- Creativity - Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches;
- Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients;
- Commitment to continuous learning - Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve;
- Technological Awareness - Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: