Senior Research Scientist
Post Number : 1ITSC 0892TP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Trieste
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 20-SEP-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers.
Within the Division of Research and Partnerships and under the direct supervision of the Head of the Mathematics Section/Senior Research Scientist, the incumbent will lead the sub-group of Research Scientists and performs and coordinates front-line research in mathematics, with expertise in dynamical systems, and may provide leadership to one of the ICTP Programmes as necessary. In particular, the incumbent will be required to:
- Identify, develop and implement innovative research projects, ensuring that the research team stays on top of the latest scientific developments.
- Collaborate with leading research institutions worldwide to exchange scientific information and promote joint research and scientific collaboration programmes, while providing guidance and mentoring to junior members of the Mathematics Section working in dynamical systems, as well as to post-doctoral fellows, associates and visitors.
- Participate in the selection of the Diploma, M.Sc. and Ph.D. students, teach in the Diploma programme and supervise Diploma and possibly PhD students' thesis.
- Establish wide cooperation with scientists from developing countries, also organising ICTP meetings and external activities in own field of research at ICTP and in developing countries.
- Provide authoritative advice to the Division Director on programme planning and implementation, also ensuring that all high level needs, such as agreements, funding, selection procedures and coordination of the scientific work with the scientific faculty, needed for the proper running and success of these programmes are in place and functioning.
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Mathematics or related discipline.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience in dynamical systems or related field, of which preferably 3 years at international level
- Internationally recognized research achievements in dynamical systems
- Experience in the teaching and/or mentoring of undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students.
- Excellent analytical skills. Ability to collect, synthesize and analyse information from various sources.
- Proven ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively on complex technical and scientific issues in English.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Experience in the development and coordination of scientific training programmes, with particular attention to those devoted to developing countries.
- Experience in the design, implementation and management of scientific projects.
- Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish)
- Knowledge of Italian.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
In addition to the online application, candidates are requested to submit their research statement to the ICTP Personnel Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) clearly indicating in the subject line "Senior Research Scientist post no. 1ITSC 0892TP".
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: